Motorcycle Maintenance!

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
So as the first season with the FZ rapidly approaches, I am wondering if there are any particular things to pay special attention to on the FZ6.

I am a huge proponent of doing daily maintenance and taking care of my toys. What are peoples general maintenance routines? I know most of the motorcycle basics but am looking for any input!

First thing is lube the chain and check the tire pressures. Being in N.E. we have to check them often this time of year because of the daily fluctuation in temps... it can be very warm during the day and very cold in the evening. One day can be 70 and the next 45. Keep a watch on the pressure until we are in full-summer weather and then occasionally there after.

When was the last oil change?

I haven't had my FZ long enough to do any major maintenance.

My daily pre-ride check includes tire pressure, chain tension and condition, check all bulbs and horn, check oil level and make certain my mirrors are properly adjusted.

I've changed my engine oil twice now, and it's quite easy.

My daily pre-ride check includes tire pressure, chain tension and condition, check all bulbs and horn, check oil level and make certain my mirrors are properly adjusted.

this was drummed into me duriong my training... POWER

P - Petrol
O - Oil
W - Water
E - Electrics
R - Rubber

I just bought myself an 07 FZ6 with 2400kms. First thing I plan to do is to remove the swing arm and lubricate all the rear suspension bearings. I've done this on a couple of KLR's and they came from the factory with practically no grease at all on any of the linkage. Something you should do every couple of years.

I'll be ordering a Haynes manual tomorrow.

When was the last oil change?

This morning! :thumbup:

So it seems the Haynes manual is a good choice? Any others that people like?

The tire pressure seems to be especially important in early N.E. riding. I will make sure to keep an eye on that

In terms of chain cleaning (first bike with a chain, shaft drives before), I saw in the manual it said to clean it with kerosene and a toothbrush. Do people use that? Any other suggestions?

The tire pressure seems to be especially important in early N.E. riding. I will make sure to keep an eye on that

In terms of chain cleaning (first bike with a chain, shaft drives before), I saw in the manual it said to clean it with kerosene and a toothbrush. Do people use that? Any other suggestions?

That's the best way to clean it. But it's more difficult without removing the chain.

My method involves spray silicone, grunge brush, and a rag.

That's the best way to clean it. But it's more difficult without removing the chain.

My method involves spray silicone, grunge brush, and a rag.

Does the silicone act as the cleaner? or the lube? I suppose you can clean the chain decently on the bike but taking it off allow the cleaning of the sprockets etc?

WD40 works great for chain cleaning!

Does the silicone act as the cleaner? or the lube? I suppose you can clean the chain decently on the bike but taking it off allow the cleaning of the sprockets etc?

The spray silicone acts as a cleaner/degreaser. It's less toxic than WD40 and won't ruin the chain. After I wipe the chain clean I apply chain lube.

For my FZ, and really an vehicle, I follow the mfg's service schedule to a Tee. I don't change oil early, on schedule, and I don't skip adjustments > throttle body sync, valve adjustments, etc. I use the factory service manual. Its surprisingly well written and clear!

For dailies I check TP, and lube the chain regularly. I don't adjust if very often. That and keep her clean. Cleaning allows/affords you the time to looks at everything closely and identify problems before they become real headaches. That and I like a squeaky clean bike. :thumbup:

Does WD-40 hurt the chain? Is this true about other things? Or just the chain? Is there a mysteriously dangerous side to Wd40 i was unaware of! :D

I have newer seen wd40 do any damage to O-rings!
I use it myself, - and according to the shop-mechanics my chain is in mint condition!

The downloadable FREEEEE factory service manual is ALL you need. :thumbup: I haven't had any problems with understanding it. It's pretty simple if you can follow directions...oh no, no 1 billion photos...what do i do?!?? just look at it and you'll figure it out.

as for chain...just go with kerosene. FSM says to do that and it works and you can't go wrong. It's also not hard. It's not like you're saving a LOT of time by spraying it with WD40. oh well, everyone's methods are different. (oh yea...and kerosene and a paintbrush are not expensive together)

I liked the POWER thing.

me? I'm year round riding, but occasionally check:
1. tires/pressure
2. oil
3. brakes/fluid
4. FUEL hee hee
5. anything needing to be done according to FSM
6. lube clutch cable about once a month ...mmmmmm
7. and like Hellgate...it's squeeky clean (almost :squid:-ish!!!) - washed a lot and waxed once a month (it's outside under an overhang...don't judge me!)

Last edited:
If you're familiar with basic motorcycle maintenance, no there's nothing unique about the FZ6. You need to keep up on air, fluids, chain, and the occasional walk-around to look for problems like a burnt-out bulb or loose parts (I once found one of my front calipers loose!) at a frequency that seems right to you and is roughly in-line with the manufacturer's recommendations. More involved maintenance service intervals like synching the dilithium crystal reactors are detailed in the manual.

WD-40 will not hurt your chain, paint, or anything else; that's an internet myth that refuses to die. Check out wikipedia's article on WD-40 or WD-40's FAQ on their website. That being said, kerosene and a nylon brush is both inexpensive and quite effective as a cleaner, and WD-40 is really too light and primitive for chain lube. "Use the right tool for the job" sort of thing. If you really want to get into it the Materials Safety Data Sheet is available online so you can view the components of the product.

In terms of things to watch out for, the earlier models had problems with the throttle position sensor, steering head bearings, and front sprocket lock washer; do a search on these if your model is '05 or earlier (or just on general principle).

And: welcome to the club! :thumbup:

+1 on the POWER acronym, that's a good one, never heard that one before.

Great responses guys!

Thank you for all the help. I am going to finish up some different things tomorrow and start my riding!

One last question, what are the people feelings about washing the entire bike, is there any reason that i should stop washing it at the manual spray gun?

You mean a power washer? Go easy (distant) with the wand, or don't altogether. Those things can potentially blast water into places you really don't want water.

An ordinary garden-hose nozzle is fine.

The relatively low-tech approach of a bucket of soapy (as in car-soap, not dish detergent) water and a sponge will do just fine. Warm-water rinse and a towel or leaf blower (great way to dry it!) and you're good to go, with the occasional top dressing of wax, plexus...whatever floats your boat.

I get the impression you're excited about riding tomorrow ;)

Back