Motorcycle Jacket Cleaining?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I just lightly wet my textile/mesh jackets and then scrub them down with a brush a small amount of dishsoap, then rinse them off lightly, hang to dry outside. Works well enough. The only thing that gets on them is a little bugs and they start to smell a little less than new after a few years. :Flash:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a product called Folex I use it on carpet and just about anything that I need to get stains out of. You can buy a quart? in a spray bottle but I buy it by the gallon and buy a spray bottle for the economy. Available at Home Depot.

On my textiles I use a brush in the tough spots. Let it set in and then wash with regular laundry soap. :thumbup:

zg fazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wash it in washing machine on 30 degrees and nothing will happen. I do it all the time, although mine is not white... :D

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Will be checking the HD's north of the border for Folex....
Got some stains in my grey textile that will not come out.....

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First time I cleaned my textile jacket I just threw it in the wash machine.. Turned out fine. Just let it hang dry. I was worried about it effecting the waterproof-ness, but it still keeps me dry.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
textile jacket i just ride in the rain :D

That would be my response but it takes to long to clean the bike afterwards!

Apply some soap first! haha - perhaps even hair shampoo - less caustic than dish soap!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
It's motorcycling gear, and needs to be treated totally differently than any other clothing you own!!!1!!one!!!

---> (kidding) :BLAA:

Honestly, your best bet is to follow the manufacturer's instructions on how they intended it to be cleaned so you can enjoy their product and be satisfied with it for a long time.

But if you want the opinion of a netizen on the intarwebz:

My leather jacket is wiped down with a damp cloth to get rid of bug guts, and treated with a leather conditioner prior to storage for the winter.

My Tourmaster "all season" mesh shell/liner system is washed on gentle cycle and air-dried, then reassembled with the armor and hung in a dry closet until spring.

Everything else is as-needed.

My feeling is that it's meant to be worn regularly, and potentially take a crash, so dry-cleaning it in solvents and then pressing a crease into it is not recommended (unless you're wearing it to a board meeting instead of riding). Gently laundering it and air-drying textiles, or using typical leather treatments for that material, would make sense. Beyond that, I don't think you can do much harm. It's tough stuff by design.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
For textiles, remove the pads, machine wash, then while it is still wet spray it with revive-x, then tumble dry.

Just be sure to remove the pads.

D

Dave.TX

For textiles, remove the pads, machine wash, then while it is still wet spray it with revive-x, then tumble dry.

Just be sure to remove the pads.

Ditto. I've warshed my textile once in the warshing machine (cold setting) then let it hang dry. Took the pads/armor (armour for the Europeans) out first. Normally just spot it with water and something like Folex to get the bugs periodically. Laundry soap is fine.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine says it's hand wash only. But I think that may be because of the glitter and rhinestones. :)

ETA: OK, so I washed it for the first time today. By hand, of course. No way could I get the dragonfly stains out until I used an enzyme stain remover. It looks like new now, yay! And my hands and arms are very clean.

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the reason why I buy black bike gear, the occasional rain ride washes the bugs away and that's it. Have a Joe Rocket leather jacket that's seen six seasons, a lot of miles, and still looks pretty decent. Without once being washed, cleaned, or paid any particular attention to

Otherwise, have heard saddlesoap is good from a number of sources

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the reason why I buy black bike gear, the occasional rain ride washes the bugs away and that's it. Have a Joe Rocket leather jacket that's seen six seasons, a lot of miles, and still looks pretty decent. Without once being washed, cleaned, or paid any particular attention to

Otherwise, have heard saddlesoap is good from a number of sources

You use Febreeze or something on the inside of it, right?

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, I air it out once in a while, doesn't smell funky though

I wish I knew how you manage that. Mine doesn't get funky when it's cool out, but in the summer... Febreeze is a good thing.