Motorcycle, cell phone, GPS and me (google maps question)

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if there was a way to "customize" a route on a computer and send it to a android phone.

I would like to use my phone and head phones to pocket the phone and use the voice commands. I don't necessarily want to take the route that google tells me to.

So lets say I type in may starting point as home and my destination. I move the line around as to avoid certain roads or to go through certain towns. I would like to do this with the ease of a mouse and large computer screen rather than do it on my phone. Any way to do this?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a negative. I've tried figuring this out. Google maps for android is point A to point B - even if you design the route on your computer and open the link on your android device. Ive been use an app called copilot premium for the past year with great results. You can fully customize a route and add many multiple way points. It does take some figuring out, and you have to play with it a bit to get used to it. This app is also get because the maps are saved to your phone, so maps are available and directions work even without cell service. You can also save your trips and open them at a later time (nice for planning routes ahead of time and opening the route on your day of travel)

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know the answer to that. I usually design the route on my tablet because its easier on the bigger screen, save the route, and transfer the route file to my phone to use on the road. Idk if there is a way to design a route on a desktop.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan routes all the time on google maps dragging and dropping the pins to force the route where I want to go. Then I e-mail the link to myself and when I open it on my phone through the google maps app, it is exactly the way I laid it out.

I am unable to alter the route from my phone though which is a pain sometimes. I don't know if you can get google maps to prompt you with voice commands, I usually just put my phone on my tank and glance at it only if needed.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan routes all the time on google maps dragging and dropping the pins to force the route where I want to go. Then I e-mail the link to myself and when I open it on my phone through the google maps app, it is exactly the way I laid it out.

I've tried this with no success.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site

I am unable to alter the route from my phone though which is a pain sometimes. I don't know if you can get google maps to prompt you with voice commands, I usually just put my phone on my tank and glance at it only if needed.

The Google maps app will do voice prompts using your method of emailing the link, just tried it on my Android phone :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I've been doing this same thing successfully. ^^

This doesn't solve the OP's issue but Android "Speed View" app is a GPS logger that creates log and "gpx" (routes) files which are easily read by many viewers. An example is: GPS Visualizer: Draw a map from a GPS data file

With Speed View On and logging, run your path to / from where ever. Export log or GPX file and open it. The Web viewer has the option to Save the route and share it. This could give you your voice commands.

Basically its the opposite of what the OP wants as you run the route to create it, but it would be good for showing others a route...

Google Maps output
Your GPS data has been processed. Your Google Map should be displayed below, and it's also temporarily available to view or download from GPSVisualizer.com. If you want to save your Google Map to your Web site, the HTML so the HTML source of the map must be modified; the GPS Visualizer FAQ contains instructions on how to do so.

FWIW: Both the LOG data and the GPX data are text files which can be read in a txt viewer like Notepad or even imported into MS Excel and read but it won't create a map. Do some reading on GPX files and you may gather some new tools along the way.

Last edited: