Mother loving scammers on a mother loving craigslist...

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to sell my borther's bandit on craigslist at the moment.

I remember having received a ton of email responses from scammers that they will buy it but they can't pick it up yada yada yada and they will arrange a pick up.

I learned my lesson, I listed my cell number instead. I figured some auto bot scammer is not going to actually call me or text me.

I guess I was wrong. Some as$hole scammer is now texting me.

At first I just texted them back with the usual "**** off" reply.

Now I am pissed. I started playing along.

When they asked for a place where they can come and pick up the motorcycle I just gave them some random place in East New York (one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in NYC,lol) Of course I told the scammer to meet me at ungodly late hour.

I hope these dinks learn their lesson.

Hopefully the gangbangers in the 'hood will do a proper meet and greet for the scammer.

Moral of the story:

Act like a low life, you will be treated like one.
Get a job and stop scamming people.

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
You aren't supposed to list your email address or phone number on craiglist - thats why you're getting scammers contacting you. You put no contact information on your advertisement, and they are forced to respond via email through the link craigslist provides (which is actually redirected to the email from when you created your craigslist account).

This filters out the vast majority of scammers. This way, they never know your email address so they cant spam you. If the potential customer seems serious, then you advance to phone contact.

I have to say though, that's pretty funny. "Yeahh, why don't ya meet me in the dark alley on 152nd and washington over in brooklyn, at 3am."

hahahha

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my bike for sale on CL and OMG... at least 10 scam emails and texts a day. Even with NO email in the ad, they spam the hell out of the CL email which goes right to my email. Have my phone number in written out/secret mode haha, but they still text spam me. Ridiculous. Every one the same to.. "is this ad still available?" or some variation of the same.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my bike for sale on CL and OMG... at least 10 scam emails and texts a day. Even with NO email in the ad, they spam the hell out of the CL email which goes right to my email. Have my phone number in written out/secret mode haha, but they still text spam me. Ridiculous. Every one the same to.. "is this ad still available?" or some variation of the same.

Indeed.

I didn't actually list my email address. It all went through craigslist link.

And i did the same with my cell phone number as well.

I feel your pain.

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the same run around trying to sell my old '06 GS500. Ended up just trading it in at a local dealership and got a very fair price for it. Overall, not worth the hassle to sell on CL. Just trade it in.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Been there.. so annoying!

FYI: It's free to list stuff on eBay in a classified ad format (no final fees or anything.. just like CL). I got few hits on mine through eBay and all were legit.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
When I sold my pickup truck a while back, I was e-raped. My friend said I had to list my phone number because only serious people would call. SUCH a bad move. I was contacted by a large number of people... Guess how many in 1 day. Go ahead... guess...

Nope, higher. Nope, higher. HIGHER.

80. EIGHTY different people in 24 hours.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I've sold quite a few things through Craigslist and only had one bad experience. In that particular situation, I agreed to drive an hour to meet someone halfway but the guy stood me up and blew me off afterwards. I've had good luck with the following things in mind: I never give out my real number, but I provide my Google voice number and ask to leave a message or text that number. Offending numbers can easily be blocked if necessary. Your actual email address is hidden at first, unless you respond, so I only respond to serious inquiries. If it still seems suspicious, I'll dig deeper into the buyer's motivations ("What do you like best about xxx, what model camera are you going to use this lens on" etc.) You get what you pay for, but I've found CL to be a very effective method.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I've avoided is, giving my address out until I am certain that I'm talking to a normal person, and he/she is pretty much on their way to my house.

Yes, mutual public location is best but:

1. anyone can drive down the street and know your address... just because they're trying to buy some old Nintendo games off CL doesn't make them a scumbag.
2. using your spidey sense, the freaks can be weeded out.
3. sometimes that just isn't convenient.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Both times I've sold stuff on craigslist (including my old bike), I didn't include my email or phone number in the ad. I put "If interested, respond by email with your phone number. Emails with no phone number will be ignored." Both deals went pretty smoothly.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally sold the Bandit today.

Some noobie came by to check it out. I could see the spark in his eyes when he saw the bike.

It was like shooting a fish in a barrel.

He tried to lower the price a little bit.

I gave in, he was pretty much an only person that was interested in the bike.

Considering on how much money my brother put into the bike regarding aftermarket upgrades we lost a few hundred dollars here and there.

I almost felt sad selling it. The bike wasn't minty aesthetically but it purred like a kitten on steroids.

Anyway, I didn't feel like worrying about 3 bikes when the hurricane is about to hit NYC, so it was better to sell it.

ehh you win some you lose some.....

:D