more acceleration

rdabernig41

Reaction score
Visit site
i want my fz6 to be quicker down low and was looking at swapping the sprokets out. would there be a noticeable difference just going down one tooth on the front or is it better to go +2 on the back too? and if i do that will i lose speed? like will it top out slower? and how far off would my speedometer be? and lastly what brand of sproket is a good brand and who has the best prices?

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a thread about this somewhere around here...I know I went down 1 in the front and noticed the acceleration to be quicker. The ammount of error according to the thread is 11.1% error at 1 down in the front. And yes, you sacrifice accel for top end...which didn't bother me anyway as I have still failed to max the bike out so far and the fastest I have seen the speedo read was 147 which at 11.1% error is still 130mph...plenty fast for me!! lol and it still had more in it!

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
i want my fz6 to be quicker down low and was looking at swapping the sprokets out. would there be a noticeable difference just going down one tooth on the front or is it better to go +2 on the back too? and if i do that will i lose speed? like will it top out slower? and how far off would my speedometer be? and lastly what brand of sproket is a good brand and who has the best prices?

Maybe split the difference (sort of) and go -1,+1 like I did. You're definately going to notice a difference when you get on the throttle. When you put a smaller sprocket up front or a larger on out back, your top speed will be reduced, but the time in which it takes to get to that speed will shorten. In other words, the bike will have a slower top speed, but it will be able to get to top speed much quicker. And really, what does it even matter if you lose 15mph from your top speed? You aren't going to be going 160mph anyway. As for your Speedo, use this calculator to punch in your pre/post sprocket/wheel size, and you'll see the percentage of error you bike will show. For instance, -1,+1 is 13% off, which means when the speedo indicates 100mph, you're actually going 87mph. Unless you're a math whiz that can calculate your error percentage at any speed, you're going to need a speedohealer, which is basically an ECU mod.

Vortex is a good sprocket brand. I have R & G on my bike. A front sprocket will cost you about $25. The kit that includes both sprockets and the chain will be over $100 (give or take)

Here's the calculator: Click on SPEEDOHEALER on the left. Then under that, click on ONLINE CALCULATOR. Then follow the steps. Be sure to enter the correct info...good luck.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Last edited:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
i can search for it but I bought a DD X-Link chain with vortex front and rear sprockets -1 up front. Cost $200, but you can get the sprocket kit for alot less. I was riding up the I-5 corridor today in some tough wind and I was thinking to myself how nice that extra torque was. Costs a bit more gas but I love the low end acceleration and being in the power band on the highway.