monster 796. any riding experiences?

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
any of you out there ride this bike or own one? different animal vs the fz6 i realize. Could be in my future. Any thoughts welcome.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The service interval is around 7500 miles, so depending on how much you ride and are willing to wrench yourself will be something to consider. I've heard servicing isn't cheap.

I've ridden the smaller 620e Monster and can tell you it's nothing but fun! It had a stiffer sportier ride and was very nimble.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a demo ride on the monster 696 and 1100 and found them to be a fun bike to ride. However with my short arms, the way the seat leans you forward every bump that I hit felt as if I was taking a knee to the junk.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the new ones have a longer service schedule

not ridden one, but i want one. monster was described as a hooligan bike to me, it looks (and sounds!) like it's a lot of fun

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
belts every 2 years and shims a bitch to change, but if that doesn't bother you a Ducati has max kudos.

the 796 Hypermotard is a great looking machine too.

796 Monster is high on my list of what I'd like next.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Service on a 2-valve Monster is easier than service on an FZ6. I own both, and I'd do the Duc's valves over the Yamaha's any day of the week.

Now, 4-valve Ducs... that's another tale.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Easier for the home mechanic maybe but if that's not your bag then a Ducati dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for a service with belts.

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
...However with my short arms, the way the seat leans you forward every bump that I hit felt as if I was taking a knee to the junk.
+1

My instructor had a duc 796. Super sweet bike. Very nimble and aaawesome torque :D However, the riding position was way too agressive for me. Could very well be lacking experience, but I rode two hours picking spots between hanging on my arms or my balls depending...

So IMO it's a fantastic bike for shorter rides. Quick off the line and very easy to ride I think, but the riding position is a bit too much forward lean for me. So I say go out and try on for size (and enjoy every second :thumbup:) but be sure to take it for a longer ride before deciding.

Just my 2 cents :)

/Anesi

PS: Did I mention how awesome that bike really is? :D I'd love to love it all the way... but I can't :confused:

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Easier for the home mechanic maybe but if that's not your bag then a Ducati dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for a service with belts.

I understand what you're saying, but there's always an alternative to the dealership. The OP lives in Indiana, so here are a few links. These can get him listing in the right direction for service assistance...

Indiana Ducati Owners Club - Hoosier Hooligans - Ducati Indiana Ducati - Indianapolis - Indy

The Home of iDesmo - Indiana Ducati Desmo Owners Club

DesmOhio Home Page

Ducati timing belts aren't that difficult. Actually, on the Monster they're quite simple.

Last edited: