Modifications for more mid-range torque??

drunkmunkey6969

Reaction score
www.scooterotica.co.uk
Hi.....just introduced myself here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/main...llo-harrogate-north-yorkshire.html#post592168

So i'll try not to 'double up' on the info, but basically, after 15 years out of bikes......im back in with an FZ6N S2 and loving it.

Just done 700 miles in 2 days to cornwall and back, and really pleased with the bike.

My only wish.....is that it had a bit more low down/mid range torque.

I appreciate its a short-stroke block, but still.......any ignition mods which can help?

Here's a pic of the bike, its got Beowulf exhaust, belly pan, and now black mirrors, Puig screen and a 17 tooth front sprocket. :)

Look forward to any help you may have on getting the bottom end torque up.....

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems weird to complain about mid range torque and add a 17t sprocket! The Fz6 is a revving bike, the more you rev it, the happier it is, the 17t sprocket keeps your revs low.

If you want "more" torque, go to a 15t sprocket, or do the fun thing and go 15/48, this will change the FZ6 into an angry beast...

Last edited:

drunkmunkey6969

Reaction score
www.scooterotica.co.uk
It seems weird to complain about mid range torque and add a 17t sprocket! The Fz6 is a revving bike, the more you rev it, the happier it is, the 17t sprocket keeps your revs low.

If you want "more" torque, go to a 15t sprocket, or do the fun thing and go 15/48, this will change the FZ6 into an angry beast...

Not a complaint, more of a minor criticism. And it's the power curve of the motor I'm interested in, not changing the gearing to make an already revvy motor more harsh.

A change in gearing doesn't change the power curve.....the bike has enough peak power and revs for me, in fact it's was revving too high in top gear for my liking. Adding the 17 tooth has dropped the revs in top and softened the mid range. What I want is ignition map and fuelling mods to enhance the torque and bottom end of the power range.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to be the barer of bad news but Yamaha has already engineered this engine for more mid-range power. Remember this is an R6 engine they took and tweaked for more mid range. You are never going to get more low end torque on a small displacement inline 4 without forced induction.

This little engine loves running between 5500 and 8000 rpms for most riding. If you are expecting torque under 5500 rpms you aren't going to get it. The new Yamaha MT09 (FZ09) is the solution to the problem of low end torque and mid-range power with that sweet inline triple! I can't wait till they make a more upright faired version of it!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can drop some coin at ECU Unlesahed and advance the ignition as well as adding some fuel. Its a bit steep and more of a one time shot as you ship the ECM to them.

Another option for us cheapies is to statically advance the ignition timing. Unfortunately it drags the fuel injection w/it. But you do it and the C0/C1 fuel increase and its not bad. Not torque per say but it wakes it up making it more responsive to throttle input. Not everyone will find it adorable but you can always put both back if it does nothing for you. It will force the hand on the quality of fuel used. On hot summer days take offs up hill will make detonate, so add more fuel, a fuel controller, and likely higher grade fuel (Petrol).

I'm also looking to add teeth in the rear so our needs are different.

Q? have you ever ridden a 600 that met the "torque need" your looking for? As said up above, this isn't it. Its meant to sing and be happy at ah higher RPMs!

Good luck!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Suggest uninstalling the FZ6 and reinstalling an SV650 or Ninja 650.

146_0606_02_z+fun_factor_preview+torque_dyno.jpg

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a complaint, more of a minor criticism. And it's the power curve of the motor I'm interested in, not changing the gearing to make an already revvy motor more harsh.

A change in gearing doesn't change the power curve.....the bike has enough peak power and revs for me, in fact it's was revving too high in top gear for my liking. Adding the 17 tooth has dropped the revs in top and softened the mid range. What I want is ignition map and fuelling mods to enhance the torque and bottom end of the power range.

The gearing doesn't change the power curve, but it makes the power and torque available at lower rpm.
Unless you are a great mechanic and are ready to start opening the engine up and fooling around inside there, the only thing you can do to have more torque and power accessible down low is to change the gearing.

This is a rev happy engine, you will not get it to act like a twin.

It might also be a question of tuning your ear to the fact that revs are OK!
When i first started to ride the FZ6 i kept changing gear at 5000 rpm and felt like it was about to explode when it reached 7000rpm.
Now i have it geared 15/48, and have accepted the fact that the fun starts at 8000rpm and ends at 13000rpm.
It's come to the point where i wish it could go up to 16000rpm like the R6!

Last edited:

drunkmunkey6969

Reaction score
www.scooterotica.co.uk
I once got a great piece of advice........if enough people tell you that you are dead, lay down.

Lol ;)

Sounds like my hopes of more torque may be dashed. Don't misunderstand me, I know it's a short stroke rev monster derived from the R6, and it'll never be a grunty V twin.......so I wasn't expecting big changes, but did hope for a little more low/mid. But no problem if not, I love the bike regardless.

Although I'd like to know more about 'ECU unleashed' as FinalImpact suggests...?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no real input on the subject because the bike has always had plenty of torque for me.

But on the bright side, I'm really liking how that bike looks in yellow! :rockon:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
You could manually advance your timing - I've heard good things and am planning on doing that (after I do a valve check) - It'll give you more power across the board, which should help with your torque - I barely understand the mechanics of it so I won't confuse you by adding in my input. There are posts about it though :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a look at the ECU unleashed site. I really like the look of that. It's £350 a go though. Are there any competitors to the brand which may be less expensive or are they dominant in the market?

If ECU Unleased included an option for at least 2 - 3 free tweaks id do it. The thing is its based on what was done to one bike (so was i was told in a correspondence w them). So them not knowing my environment and exact usage, im a bit hestent. Next is the two leading brands of fuel management don't look at all of the inputs for thier maps. Their pretty lame in what they did w our bike. Now add the cost of ignition controller to do what needs done and i end up throwing my hands in the air as ALL Options lack a level of detail needed to hit a homerun. Jm2c...

Maybe the unleashed thing could be a homerun. If so, its still cheaper than fi & ignition contollers.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i like to think the best mod for more torque in the midrange is a downshift and some throttle. and oft times just some throttle

ride it like a 600cc I4 and not a 650cc twin and you'll nary notice a lack of....anything. i have come to believe a revvy 600cc I4 is one hell of a "sporty" set up. some think you have to ride it too hard to get the most out of it, but i digress. i use the controls and the power of the engine and trans together, and the bike does the rest without fuss

once accustomed and we stop obsessing about torque this bike is a complete blast. i love getting on the freeway in 2nd gear and leaving it there to near 90mph. the engine is just so smooth and powerful way up there and every little input of throttle will get you what you need in a hurry

good times

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Nobody here will agree with me on this but this is why I love the stock exhaust. We all know that short stroke engines need to rev to make any kind of usable power. With the stock exhaust you can keep it at 6k+ on long rides without getting a headache and being noise unfriendly to others.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Nobody here will agree with me on this but this is why I love the stock exhaust. We all know that short stroke engines need to rev to make any kind of usable power. With the stock exhaust you can keep it at 6k+ on long rides without getting a headache and being noise unfriendly to others.

Ear plugs FTW. Nothing beats the angry sewing machine ;)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
More midrange torque you say?

Might I suggest trading this

For this?

2013-yamaha-yzf-r1-16.jpg

Blah

Do you even have an aftermarket exhaust?

I assure you that above 6,000 RPM your moving too fast too hear it.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Ear plugs FTW. Nothing beats the angry sewing machine ;)

+1

I don't wear ear plugs when i just ride around town, but if i am going for an all day twistie ride, i always wear earplugs!

I found that i actually ride better with earplugs, it helps me focus on what i am doing, and keep my focus sharper for longer, it is definitely less tiring...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say changing the gearing is the easiest way. It doesn't make the ride harsh, it makes it easier IMO since you have more control and torque.

I have a 15T front sprocket and I like it, feels like there's less strain on the engine.

Another option would be a supercharger, but if you go that far then you might as well just get an FZ1 ;)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
More midrange torque you say?

Do you even have an aftermarket exhaust?

I assure you that above 6,000 RPM your moving too fast too hear it.

I've had plenty of loud bikes. My first street bike 34 years ago was a KH 400 2 stroke triple with Denco pipes, had a dozen other bikes including a Ninja 900 with a yoshimura. Also had many 2 stroke motocross bikes and raced a RX7 in SCCA Class 7. I know loud.

I do understand how loud makes bikers feel. Living near a Harley shop I now know how annoying bikes can be to everyone else.

drunkmunkey6969

Reaction score
www.scooterotica.co.uk

I agree....good back pressure and quiet pipe does make for a more pleasant ride on long journey. Round local roads the aftermarket pipe roars....but the resonance soon gets on your tits on a long run.