Missing Chain Adjustment Nuts

flsurflover

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a long time lurker, first time poster. Love the forum.
I just discovered Saturday night that my 2006 FZ6 is missing it's left side chain adjustment nuts, washer, and puller plate. Don't know when I lost them. After several searches, I see this has happened to a few other people, and that the fix is to put loctite on the locking nuts on both side.

All the dealers were closed today, so I will call one I know that is open on Monday. They will probably have to order the parts but it should only be a few days. I see that ordering them online is option if needed, as is buying a used axle on Ebay with both sets of pullers and nuts. I have the part numbers.

I commute this bike to work every day, although I do have access to a car if I absolutely have to until the parts get in. But I couldn't find a thread that described why it would be critical not to ride the bike until I get these parts replaced.

From reading the service manual and the how-to's on alignment and chain adjustment. It seems like the last step is always to torque down the axle nut to 87 foot pounds. Since my axle is still locked down, aren't the chain adjustment nuts and puller plate not critical? If the axle nut did come loose, would the chain adjustment plates actually reduce the chance of a disaster?

I do agree, better safe than sorry, but I wanted to make sure that those parts would actually do something if the axle came loose. If they won't and they are just for adjusting chain slack and alignment, and wouldn't actually help keep the rear wheel on if the axle nut came loose, then I might as well ride it. Not trying to be dangerous, just want to know technically what their role is rather than being superstitious that I shouldn't ride without them. If they are critical, then I won't ride until they are replaced. I will get the parts as soon as possible this week. Thanks for any help.

Mugwump

Uncle at large
Reaction score
Visit site
Once your axle nut has been tightened, the chain adjustment nuts are just sitting there doing nothing till the next adjustment. They should'nt be viewed as a backup to the axle nut coming loose. As long as the nut has been tightened properly and with normal riding you should be ok. But you're going to have to adjust your chain eventually, so order those replacement nuts and plate.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't reccomend riding on it but as long as the axle is still tq'd down you should be fine to ride for a bit. If you do choose to ride it would be wise to check the tq on it daily just to be safe.

flsurflover

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Mugwump and ChevyFazer.
Dealer was going to take too long to get the parts, so I followed Sawblade's advice from a thread last year and ordered a used 06 axle off Ebay that has all the nuts, plates, and washers on both sides, so now I have a spare everything of those parts. $30 shipped. Should arrive Wed.
Plenty of threads on this, so everyone might want to go snug up your locknuts on both sides while you're thinking about it. I'm going to use a dab of blue loctite as well because it can't hurt.

And yes, I rode the bike to work today and had a beautiful commute. But I am keeping an eye on the axle nut.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost one of these nuts aswell and just replaced all 4 with "safety nuts" like these. Makes it much easier to tighten/loosen the chain aswell because these only move when you turn the wrench.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup it's OK to ride if the axle is torqued and you could even loosen and re-tighten the adjustors just make it easier to properly position the axle. I changed my swingarm out for a 2007, so much nicer on the adjustment and they don't have those nuts and plates to fall off either. Any time I take a nut or bolt loose I put it back with thread locker - Honda cause that is what they had.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to think it won't MOVE but I do believe some will creep ahead on the chain side. For those who accelerate aggressively, the chain is trying very hard to pull the whole axle ahead on the left side. So if you have one set; I might swap it and snug it up on the chain drive side.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost one of these nuts aswell and just replaced all 4 with "safety nuts" like these. Makes it much easier to tighten/loosen the chain aswell because these only move when you turn the wrench.
Great idea MrMogensen.
I'm also missing both lock nuts somehow. Like most people I have a coffee can filled with various nuts, but none of them fit this application, the threads just aren't right the pitch or something.
Do you have the size/thread specs for them? I'll use your idea and pick up the safety nuts. Much appreciated.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a new puller plate and nuts

here are the part #'s

2GH-25389-10-00 chain puller plate

10-95337-08600-00 nut

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On each adjuster there are 2 nuts. The one nut is used as the adjustment. After the adjustment is done you hold it with a wrench and with another wrench you bind the other nut against the first nut. This is a pal nut and once your nuts are palled together properly they will not be allowed to travel along the threaded rod.

Use a set of large fender washers as a temporary plate till your new plate arrives.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea MrMogensen.
I'm also missing both lock nuts somehow. Like most people I have a coffee can filled with various nuts, but none of them fit this application, the threads just aren't right the pitch or something.
Do you have the size/thread specs for them? I'll use your idea and pick up the safety nuts. Much appreciated.

I just measured... Has to be size M8 (with standardized threads for M8).
I got the safety nuts from work, and they only use standardized bolts/nuts.
My measurement device was only a ruler because I don't have my tools at my GF's house... so please doubletjeck if the bolts sticking out from the puller plates are really 8 millimeters (M8).

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just measured... Has to be size M8 (with standardized threads for M8).
I got the safety nuts from work, and they only use standardized bolts/nuts.
My measurement device was only a ruler because I don't have my tools at my GF's house... so please doubletjeck if the bolts sticking out from the puller plates are really 8 millimeters (M8).

Maybe the nuts you had in that cup are from other thread/size standards?
Just checked my "theory-book" and the standardized M8 nut/bolt has a thread increase of 1,25mm.