Miles vs Price

sbarbs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I'm looking to upgrade to a FZ6 this week. I have been looking for a few weeks and basically come up with 2 options. An 08 with about 10000 miles will cost about 4000. On the other hand I found an 08 with a 2 bro exhaust that has 22000 miles for 3500. Both look like they are well taken care of. I like the idea of spending less and getting more, but I have no experience with a bike over 20000 miles. Just looking for a little advice??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I'm looking to upgrade to a FZ6 this week. I have been looking for a few weeks and basically come up with 2 options. An 08 with about 10000 miles will cost about 4000. On the other hand I found an 08 with a 2 bro exhaust that has 22000 miles for 3500. Both look like they are well taken care of. I like the idea of spending less and getting more, but I have no experience with a bike over 20000 miles. Just looking for a little advice??

If the bike(s) have been taken WELL CARE of, 10,000 miles difference isn't much.

The only main concern would be at 26,600 miles, the engine is due for a valve check. One bike is MUCH closer to needing that than the other. Most times, the check does NOT require adjustment to the valves, but...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have some luck offering either of them less what they are asking for, especially if you find a valid reason that will accrue additional cost. For example, Scott mentioned the valve check clearance, which is one of the most expensive scheduled maintenance cost if taken to a dealership, but either way, time consuming if you decide to do it yourself.

How are the tires? I'm not referring to the amount of tread that remains, but how old are they? Anything over 3 years old, you should consider replacing as they have or begun losing it's grip. You're on 2 wheels, not four. That would set you back another $3-400. Chain and sprocket? Brake pads? Have they been replaced or appear worn? You can usually find reason to offer less. Even cash in hand.

jentus

Reaction score
Visit site
just for comparison I bought a 2009 with 1400mi on it with some add-ons like engine guard, Givi tall windshield and 12V socket for $5000.
So i say be patient and keep looking or try negotiate the price

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd gladly but the cheaper one. The miles don't scare me if, as Townsend said, it's been taken care of... and I love me a Two Bros exhaust, but can't stomach paying 25% of what I paid for my bike on an exhaust.

Plus I'm a cheap bastid, and 12k less miles is an intangible benefit, unlikely to matter unless you flip it shortly (before too long you'll be near the bottom of the depreciation curve, where a running, good condition example is pretty much always worth $x)... while $500 in my pocket plus a $600 exhaust I like are both quite tangible.

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Being ridden more isn't a bad thing. Less the bike sat. Fluids, brakes, and engine parts aren't made to sit. The more they move and get used regularly the better off they are and the longer they will last!

If the bike with higher miles has been serviced properly I'd buy that one to be honest.

OR. Whichever one needs the lesser maintenance. Tires installed can be 200-450. Chain and sprockets 150-250. Things add up quickly! That two bros is worth moolah as well. At 22k biggest concern is valve check and fork seals. Although an 08 with 10k could just as easily have bad fork seals from sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk