Mileage

Gus

Reaction score
Visit site
Is 6,000 miles for a 2008 high? Also how important is the break in period? I'm looking to buy a FZ6 and don’t want to have issues down the road because or if the bike was rode hard from the beginning. Thanks Gus

Hey Gus,
I bought a 2008 just over a year ago with 7,100 miles. It was a repo so I had no history on the bike other than my visual inspection. I've since put another 7,000 miles on it with no problems other than replacing the radiator fan on it which didn't work from the get go, which I didn't know at the time. So my advice is let the bike warm up to about 212-215º and make sure the fan turns on. Other than that I don't think that many miles is unusual for that year.
Cheers

Is 6,000 miles for a 2008 high? Also how important is the break in period? I'm looking to buy a FZ6 and don’t want to have issues down the road because or if the bike was rode hard from the beginning. Thanks Gus

1) No. My average is 10.000 miles a year.

2) Very. When I got my bike people around me really stressed the importance of the break in period.

3) IMO, It is unlikely that someone who put only 6k miles on their bike since 2008, rode it really hard. They basically barely rode it at all but you never know what kind of tool you are dealing with so It is probably a good idea to meet the owner and have a chat.

2) Very. When I got my bike people around me really stressed the importance of the break in period.

So I was also looking at a 2009 with 1300 miles for $4500 the owner said it was stolen and recovered. The owner bought the bike for her boyfriend and now they seperated and she is selling. She had dropped the bike while moving it and said the ignition was also replaced via the theft. Would you have concerns and think to look for another? Thanks Gus

Put it this way, with almost 400,000 posts on this forum, I don't think I have ever read a thread or post about an engine seizing, with the exception of maybe some bad plugs. The engine is probably the most reliable part of the bike.

I'm at 58,000 miles plus on my '06, still going strong.

my .02

6,000 miles on a 2008 is not too many miles. For example, my 2008 has 9,000 miles on it, and I slacked off riding last year due to a severed tendon in my right hand, and the birth of my daughter.

I have close to 30k miles on my 07 and have only changed oil, and tires. the FZ6 is a very well built bike and should have no problems at 6k miles...

Back