Mid Summer Upgrades!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after getting back from the trip over the 4th I have come up with a list of things to work on within the next couple of weeks.

Tonight I pulled off all of the plastic on the bike in preperation for the upgrades and upkeep.

First on the agenda: A good cleaning. While everthing is off I am going to plug the fuel line as well as the airbox and I am going to clean the bike as is. Then wash all the plastic parts seperatly.

The rest of the plan is to:

-Put on the new rubber, front and rear.
-Replace rear brake pads and maybe the fronts depending on wear.
-Paint the calipers flat black. (They are tarnished and nasty looking now)
-Replace brake fluid with high temp Motul dot 4.
-Put on the new Oury grips.
-Paint the little screw in cover piece thing on the right side of the motor. Previous owner scratched it up. Painting it black.
-Painting radiator covers black.
-Painting the front radiator cover silver to match the frame.
-Re-wiring my antenna for the CB down low again.
-Make another support for my tail bag to fit on Givi rack better.
-and who knows what else I will get into while Im working on it....

We just finished putting in some shelves in our garage at the new house today. Now I can easily move around in there to work on the bike with another in front and a car on the other side.

I will be posting pictures along the way. I imagine it will take through the weekend and next week to get all of it done. There is no rush either, so I will take it as it comes.

Look for some pictures tomorrow, I will try to keep posting pictures of the progress as I go.

-bryan

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice. Do you really have a CB on your FZ?

"This here's the Rubber Duck, time to put the hammer down! We are the mighty convoy truck through the night, we are the might convoy ain't we a beautiful sight?"

Oh never mind...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: Nice one Top!

One question Bryan? Why during riding season? ;)

Well I just went on a long ride last weekend. So I will take a weekend off to work on it. Shouldnt take too long to do. Wont miss much.

I really want to get the brake fluid changed ASAP. So since the fluid is coming out, it makes since to paint the calipers now rather than drain the fluid later to do all over again.

Then since everything is off for that, why not....

And yes, I do have a CB. Its one unit that is tied in with the intercom system and all that. It also has a weather radio in it as well. Neat system really.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so here are some pics so I dont get the...
:needpics:

To start off, here are a few pictures of the garage and the bikes. Some buddies from school and I just moved into a house just off campus and it has a garage. So naturally, one side is for the bikes. The other is for a 2004 GTO (not shown)

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

So yea, there ya go.

I will be sure to post pictures as I start to complete some of the things. Not sure how much I will get done tonight. Hopefully I will be helping install the 42" flat screen and surround sound in the living room tonight! (One of the roommats is a AV nerd...)

Oh and there will be a bench under the large "Moose Racing" banner beside the door. It should be built before too long. Probably around the end of July or first of August.

-bryan

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I have changed the oil. (Put some fresh Motul in) I changed the filter as well, duh. But this time is a K&N filter, and it has a 18mm nut on the end. It going to be much easier to change this one next time!

I am about done with painting the radiator covers and shroud. The covers are nice glossy. I am letting this last coat set up good and I am going to clear them tomorrow morning. I have also got the radiator shroud setting up now. The silver is drying faster than the black is. So its just about ready for clear. Going to make that call in a bit.

But here are some pics.

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I dont know how he does it. But he does. He goes on long trips with me. 400 mile days.

He has actually put 12000 miles on it a year.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got alot done today.

Started off by getting the new rear tire put on. Then I started on the painting.

I have got all the brakes and brackets painted, and the fronts remounted with the new Motul brake fluid in. Also I got the front end put back together. The silver radiator shroud looks nice, IMO.

The back half of the bike is still in pieces, just waiting to get some brake pads next week.

I spent some down time while waiting on paint to dry by polishing up the bike. I took some metal polish and cleaned up the header as well as the frame, forks, tripple trees, motor, subframe and swing arm.

I re-routed a few more wires today as well which cleaned up my rats nest upfront due to the intercom and such.

Going to spend tomorrow studying and doing some HW, but hopefully by middle of next week she will be done and ready to go out next weekend.

-bryan

OHcrap!

Reaction score
Visit site
I see you're putting on the Dury grips. Are these the ones you've been using or are these a new try? I've been looking around for a good grip to replace the factory ones and haven't made my mind up yet.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I see you're putting on the Dury grips. Are these the ones you've been using or are these a new try? I've been looking around for a good grip to replace the factory ones and haven't made my mind up yet.

The Oury grips I have been running on my dirt bikes religiously for years. I love the feel of them. The large raised blocks take alot of the vibrations and impact out of the bars. Also they relax my fore arms and such as well.

I am going to take my camera with me to the beach since Fbody Beach Week is this weekend. So look for some pics of the bike as well as some built @$$ Camaros and Trans-ams.

-bryan