Mesh Jacket Recommendations

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
...well I think Hell has frozen because it's HOT here in Michigan. I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight mesh jacket that still offers reasonable protection but much cooler than my usual gear. Anybody wearing stuff like this?

7-12-11. Many thanks to all who offered opinions. I've looked into all them and will make a decision soon.

Last edited:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an X Element about a year and half ago.
Black mesh with elbo and sholder hard protectors.
Best I can remember, I paid about $80. US online.

I was told to order one size larger than my normal. I did and it worked out fine.
Been pleased with the jacket.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered one of these in black a month or so ago, and it's worked pretty well for me out here in AZ. Definitely getting a lot of airflow to keep dry(er). It's constructed pretty well, with nice adjustable padding, big pockets, and two removable liners. Not to mention it's cheap, and doesn't look too bad at all. Also available in tall sizes if you're tall like me. haha

Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Look for a shift air avenger, you can get them on close out cause shift is getting out of the street gear. Its a really nice jacket with an excellent liner. Check out sportbiketrackgear.com for a good video review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a Joe Rocket Yamaha Champion mesh and it is very good in hot weather. And if I slip the liner in I can wear it pretty much year round here in TX.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran into the exact same problem last year. Michigan is so unpredictable. I needed a jacket that would be comfortable in the ninety degree days, and be able to ride home at night when it drops down into the sixties. I went with the Tourmaster Intake air. It comes with the jacket and two liners. First liner is a wind/rain liner, and the second is a quilted liner. I have ridden in temps as low as 45 F with all three liners, and 100 plus (out of state) jacket without liners. I am very happy with it. However it is a little pricier than others, but it is a great all around jacket.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran into the exact same problem last year. Michigan is so unpredictable.

I think it's too extreme here for one jacket. I think I'm going to a Fall-Spring / Summer two jacket system. thanks for your input - Ill look into your recommendation. BTW, 45 is my cutoff point!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the Tourmaster Intake air. It comes with the jacket and two liners. First liner is a wind/rain liner, and the second is a quilted liner.

I have the Cortech GX Air 2 -- which is pretty close to the same jacket. I've only used it in warm weather though, so can't comment on the cooler riding. Seems like it'll do well though.

Reaction score
Visit site
I I went with the Tourmaster Intake air. It comes with the jacket and two liners. ... I am very happy with it. However it is a little pricier than others, but it is a great all around jacket.

+1

Same jacket here. Got it in white and it's nice and cool. Good protection too. Another plus is that I actually like how it looks, plus it has reflective piping and the Tourmaster reflective triangle on the high back.

Good all-arounder for the unpredictable weather common to St. Louis.

Tour Master :: Textile Jackets :: Intake Air Series 2 Jacket

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a motoboss 2pc mesh suit from cyclegear for $100 shipped on sale and it is super nice. I like it a lot.

It is well made, vents great. The blue matches my helmet well too.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wer mesh and loved them until I wiped out on a turn while wearing one, let me tell you the thing ripped to pieces and did absolutely nothing.

Leather or nothing. Get a perforated leather jacket for more ventilation.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Speed and Strength Moment of truth Jacket. It's about $130 and has removable zip in rain jacket. Spine, shoulder and forearm pads. I recommend a seperate jacket for cold weather riding in Wisconsin and Michigan.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to wer mesh and loved them until I wiped out on a turn while wearing one, let me tell you the thing ripped to pieces and did absolutely nothing.

What type was it? I could understand if they're not quite as good as leather, but absolutely nothing?

charlie12

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the ideal gear is entirely a matter of what size you are. Personally I'm 6'6" and 155 lb (I know, it's ridiculous), and it took me half a year of pain and return shipping to find a jacket that actually fits me anywhere close to reasonably. American brands were waaaay too big around in the torso and arms; European brands varied a lot, but still tended to get too large around by the time I found a size that was long enough for me.

I finally tried on some RS Taichi mesh, and it fit perfectly. Snug around the belly and through the arms. Best of all, it came with back AND chest armor (not the worthless foam pads most manufacturers include), and the mesh was a much more durable fabric than most other mesh jackets I've seen. Solid textile was used in high risk areas like the shoulder and forearm.

I ended up going with an RS Taichi Motion perforated leather jacket because it was slightly longer, but if you're slim like me I'd strongly recommend the brand.

Apart from fit though, a lot of brands *coughjoerocket* make me very nervous from a quality standpoint. Make sure you are confident about a jacket before you cut the tags off...

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
How does the Tourmaster Intake Air fit with both liners ? I have heard that it is a little snug in the arms and tends to bunch up. I have been debating between the Tourmaster intake air 2.0 and the joe rocket phoenix 5.0.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I believe that, but it's not about the durability of the mesh material, but the armour inside it. All you're hoping for in a mesh jacket other than leather is for the armour to hold in place during impact and absorb the energy and abrasion.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the ideal gear is entirely a matter of what size you are. Personally I'm 6'6" and 155 lb (I know, it's ridiculous), and it took me half a year of pain and return shipping to find a jacket that actually fits me anywhere close to reasonably. American brands were waaaay too big around in the torso and arms; European brands varied a lot, but still tended to get too large around by the time I found a size that was long enough for me.

I finally tried on some RS Taichi mesh, and it fit perfectly. Snug around the belly and through the arms. Best of all, it came with back AND chest armor (not the worthless foam pads most manufacturers include), and the mesh was a much more durable fabric than most other mesh jackets I've seen. Solid textile was used in high risk areas like the shoulder and forearm.

I ended up going with an RS Taichi Motion perforated leather jacket because it was slightly longer, but if you're slim like me I'd strongly recommend the brand.

Apart from fit though, a lot of brands *coughjoerocket* make me very nervous from a quality standpoint. Make sure you are confident about a jacket before you cut the tags off...

It's nice to hear of some more brands that have longer jackets. I'm the same height as you, so can you tell me what size you ordered and what your sleeve/chest measurements are? I'm really interested in getting one of these if it would fit.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'6" too and about 220lbs and the XL shift air avenger fits me perfectly. I also have a feildsheer mesh Tex in a large-tall and the sleeves are too short but the chest/torso area is perfect. My cooler weather jacket is a xl-tall cortech textile and the sleeves are plenty long enough but its pretty baggy in the chest area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk