Maybe we'll get this one day too, as the rest of the World . ..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how well it's presented and with all the good reasoning why it should be legal, most drivers won't like the idea of anyone (which would be us riders) having the advantage and rolling on by when everyone else has to just sit there and wait. But yet it's probably the same people who will pull into a full parking lot to see a motorcycle occupying a parking stall and say it's a waste of space. I would love to see a national poll asking whether one motorcycle occupying one parking stall in a crowded, full or at capacity parking lot is a waste of space. Then you have your poll on why splitting should be legal.

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how well it's presented and with all the good reasoning why it should be legal, most drivers won't like the idea of anyone (which would be us riders) having the advantage and rolling on by when everyone else has to just sit there and wait. But yet it's probably the same people who will pull into a full parking lot to see a motorcycle occupying a parking stall and say it's a waste of space. I would love to see a national poll asking whether one motorcycle occupying one parking stall in a crowded, full or at capacity parking lot is a waste of space. Then you have your poll on why splitting should be legal.
Well, in time they will get used to it. As for the parking space, I agree, it's waste of a space to occupy full car parking. Why not to allocate a separate space for bikes where cars can't fit in?

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I park on a sidewalk sometimes too if there is no other space.
In general, if I'm in the city and only one car parking is there, I try to leave it for a car and park somewhere else, like between cars, etc. I know how hard it is to find a spot if you in a car in a big city...
In many countries of Europe bikes park on a sidewalk (and sometimes cars too). We as a bikers unfortunately have little to none recognition here.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Parrying between cars in my city will get you a ticket I just park in a regular space and to one side, so another bike could park alongside mine.

I doubt we will see lane splitting in this state. Traffic is not that congested to need it.

This space intentionally left blank.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how well it's presented and with all the good reasoning why it should be legal, most drivers won't like the idea of anyone (which would be us riders) having the advantage and rolling on by when everyone else has to just sit there and wait. [..]

funny this to be a classic example of "if I can't have that, nobody should!"

just for reference; line splitting is illegal in germany :( but allowed in many other parts of the eu.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Parrying between cars in my city will get you a ticket I just park in a regular space and to one side, so another bike could park alongside mine.

I doubt we will see lane splitting in this state. Traffic is not that congested to need it.

When I used to work in NYC I parked between cars by the meter so cars could use the space to park . Never got ticketing. In some other parts of the city, I know bikes parked wherever they can and ether covered the bikes or took the plate out.I heard that traffic cops have no right to pull up through cover.
You're lucky not to have the congestion in order to split in your area.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
just for reference; line splitting is illegal in germany :( but allowed in many other parts of the eu.
Funny, when we rode into Germany (Munich) from Italy, we saw few bikes were parked on the sidewalk, so we asked in the hostel if we can park close to the entrance. The woman at the reception said "this is no Italia" :)
I guess the Germans as uptight as the Americas, just drive better and more technologically advanced.

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
When I used to work in NYC I parked between cars by the meter so cars could use the space to park . Never got ticketing. In some other parts of the city, I know bikes parked wherever they can and ether covered the bikes or took the plate out.I heard that traffic cops have no right to pull up through cover.

You're lucky not to have the congestion in order to split in your area.

Some municipalities do not allow covered bikes or cars, unless the cover has a clear window to view the license plates.

Around here, they look for ways to make money from parking violations. If you fail to pay a parking ticket within the required time, the fine is automatically doubled. Gone are the days of letting people rack up $400 in parking fines and hauling them to court, to make them happily pay 1/2 that amount.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
Some municipalities do not allow covered bikes or cars, unless the cover has a clear window to view the license plates.

Around here, they look for ways to make money from parking violations. If you fail to pay a parking ticket within the required time, the fine is automatically doubled. Gone are the days of letting people rack up $400 in parking fines and hauling them to court, to make them happily pay 1/2 that amount.

Wow! I got a parking ticket last year in september for 15 euro ... forgot to pay it and just got the reminder last week. :D

did pay it now...

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I got a parking ticket last year in september for 15 euro ... forgot to pay it and just got the reminder last week. :D

did pay it now...

Nice! Yes and here if you don't pay by the second or third notice, a warrant is issued. All parking tickets are now automated. They type in the info on a handheld computer, and it is automatically uploaded to a central server. So nothing is ever lost, anymore.

I make sure to keep the meter fed. :D

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
parking on a sidewalk in Boston will get you a $60 ticket, parking at a meter and not paying for it will only get a $20 ticket and it is still cheaper than paying for a parking garage which range from $35-$50 for a full day

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
For many municipalities it is a main source of their revenue Shame America..

Last edited: