Maybe the FZ6 is the right bike?!?

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to buy a bike and choosing the bike is a bit of a challenge.

I'm 29, 6'1 180 pound and my wife is 5'6 120 pound, I've been riding for the last 10 years.

I will be riding around 70-80% of the time alone and the rest with the wife, when I'm with the wife it's ride from 1 to 4 hours.

I lived in quebec Canada, so for anyone who has riden here, the quality of the road are awefull, pothole, bump, suspenssion is important

Also if you want to recommand another bike, keep in mind that we have to pay an extra 1k$ per year for "RR" bike, the vfr is not considered in that group.

Here's the bike I have owned and riden in my life and comments on it :

Owned Yamaha R6 03 (owned for 25000 miles) : fast nimble, uncomfortable, need more torque especialy for a passenger.

Rented Yamaha V-star 1100 (rented for 5000 miles) : fast for a custom, uncomfortable for long period, bad passenger seat

Rented Honda VTR-1000 (rented for a 100 miles) : fun torque, confortable position, don't know for passenger seat

Owned Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (owned for 10000 miles) : really fun torque, uncomfortable, plenty of torque for a passenger, ridiculous passenger seat.

Owned Honda CX650 E (owned for 15000 miles) : good torque under 60mph, comfortable, need more torque for a passenger, good comfort for the passenger.

I also want hard luggage with lock, so if the bike come with it, it's a big plus.

My budget is 5k$ for a used bike.

So far the bike I like are the following :

Yamaha FZ6
Yamaha FZ1
honda VFR 800
Suzuki bandit 1200

I was thinking of buying a bike with big displacement engine, but after trying the bandit, I don't know, it's fast but the engine is barely working, you do not feel like you go fast even when you are over 100mph.

I remember when I had the R6, the engine is SCREAMING!!! under large acceleration, you don't go faster, but you feel like you go faster.

The R6 was also my first love, the FZ6 is like her hot older sister, a bit more mature.

When I ride with my wife, it's ride of 1-4 hours maximum, do you think the FZ6 can manage that, will the acceleration be impaired by the weight, how's the comfort?

I will also use this bike daily to commute to work and also occasional ride in the twisties.

Right now I'm really set on 2 bikes, the FZ6 and VFR 800

I can get a 2002 VFR 800 with 30000 miles for 4500$ at that price it doesn't come with hard lugage, I have to pay another 1000$ for that.

I can get a 2005 FZ6 with 15000 miles for 3800$ but it come with a custom high end gel seat, heated grip and a heated vest.

So what would you choose.

The only thing that bother's me is the price, the VFR 800 is 15k$ bike when new and the FZ6 can be bought brand new for 6999$ right now, it feels like the FZ6 is a bit overpriced used.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6. Since you have experience, I'd consider the FZ1 though.

The only thing is you mentioned suspension being important. The suspension is serviceable on the FZ6, but it's weak. With my weight (170lbs with gear) and the geometry of the bike and how I sit on it (5'8") I should be around 0.908kg/mm spring rate for ideal street riding. The FZ6 comes with 0.778kg/mm up front stock. The rear is okay for me, should be 12.6kg/mm for street and is 12.5kg/mm.

Anyway, stock suspension, you might bottom out if the road is too rough, although I imagine you'd have to be getting after it or offroad for it to bottom out.

All in all though, I'd buy the FZ6 again. I got mine for $4200 out the door and it's an '08 with 4180 miles when I bought it. Up to 7500 since December. :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got to your list of possible bikes, FZ1 was immediately on my mind.

I own and love my FZ6 and I've gone on 4 hour rides with my wife and I find it to be perfectly capable, but if you want it to feel fast, you will absolutely have to keep the RPMs up.

FZ6 uses same block as R6, but it's tuned to have more low end. Having said that.. it really doesn't do very much until about 4k and only really starts pulling after 6k.. serious power comes on after 8k.

FZ1 is ergonomically very similar to FZ6, but power is plentiful everywhere. About the only con of that bike, in my opinion, is somewhat poor fuel economy.

VFR is another great choice. Compared to FZ6, it seemed to have much more low end torque (and dyno charts confirm it).. riding position is somewhere between supersport and FZ6. Maintenance is quite expensive on it, if that matters to you, but it does get great fuel eco.

Bandid 1250 is another great bike, but it's just too heavy in feel, compared to others.. at least that's how it seemed to me. Phenomenal torque on that one though and can be ridden in comfort all day.

All fine choices.. up to you in the end to decide where you want to compromise. Good luck!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing is you mentioned suspension being important. The suspension is serviceable on the FZ6, but it's weak. With my weight (170lbs with gear) and the geometry of the bike and how I sit on it (5'8") I should be around 0.908kg/mm spring rate for ideal street riding. The FZ6 comes with 0.778kg/mm up front stock. The rear is okay for me, should be 12.6kg/mm for street and is 12.5kg/mm.

Excellent point. I weight 165 and keep the preload at 3, but with my 120 pound wife on the back, I have to set it to maximum setting (7) and it's just stiff enough. Fork is not adjustable.

shingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Cost of ownership is also important :

An FZ1 will need twice as many rear tires as the Fz6

Fuel economy is important

Cost of maintenance is also important.

I want a good ratio of fun/price :)

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
My ridding buddy rides a VFR 800. Well, he did. It is sitting in my garage waiting for him to get the money to fix it after his wreck last summer. But I digress.

He weighed 290 pounds. He got around 50-55 mpg. I weigh 175. I get around 43-45 mpg on my FZ6. I rode his bike once. I love the motor. Very linear power curve. I loved that low end power delivery. I did not, however, like the ergos. But I am 5'8", so that has a lot to do with it. If I had a longer frame, I would probably really like it.

The FZ6 will be fine for two up. My ex wife weighed 110-120, and we rode two up no problem. About the same weight as you and your wife. But I believe with the riding you want to do you will be happier with the VFR overall.

That being said, you would probably be thrilled with any of them.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see Shingo's and wife weight as a problem for the FZ6 suspension.

Our local roads are just so so (hey it's a third world country, they are bad), the combined weight of my sister and husband are way more than that, and the guy rides pretty hard even two up and never complains about the suspension, the bike has almost 40000kms and the only change to the suspension is 15w fork oil.

Mine has almost 50000kms and last weekend I installed a brand new OEM shock and 15w forks oil, last year I drove some bad roads at night and hit the suspension pretty hard several times, so I blame that for causing the rear shock to start behaving like gelatin even with the preload at the max. The bike is now better than new and the front diving was greatly reduced due to the heavier oil.

for the records my weight and my girlfriend's are the same than Erci's and Wife, for riding solo I put the preload on 3 or 4, for riding two with no luggage I put it on 5, for two up and complete luggage it goes to 7

Cheers

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you thought about the BMW F800ST?
Not quite as much fun as the FZ6 but great on economy and handles brilliantly and is solidly built.
I take my girl out on my FZ6 with no trouble on currently stock suspension. Planning on following advice on better oil in forks and poss Racetech springs.
Depending on how you view self-servicing on your bikes, the Honda would be more of a problem than the Yam. The BMW being a twin of course would be slightly simpler, plus no chain maintenance.

Welcome to the 'Confuserama' ! :welcome:

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
... The R6 was also my first love, the FZ6 is like her hot older sister, a bit more mature...

Fantastic way to describe the two :D - except for me, the R6 is definitely more like the hot younger sister :drool:

As for bike recommendations, I have none. My trusty naked FZ is my first, so I'll leave the advice to more well-rounded riders. But happy hunting :thumbup: Lots of great info here.

/Anesi

TheRuckus

Reaction score
Visit site
You mention that you are on a budget, then you want an FZ6 for sure. I just picked this '09 Raven Black FZ6 up brand new from the dealership because they had left overs. I got it for just 5900 dollars with a 3.9% interest rate. It's my first real bike after taking the MSF course, and riding my relatives Ninja 500R for awhile.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had an FZ6 for 2.5 years and 11,000 miles (2008) and now have a 2007 VFR. Both have Givi trunks which my wife is accustomed to. The FZ6 seat and passenger pegs (2007+) are very comfortable for passengers. The VFR is also very comfortable. My wife liked the FZ6 seat better. Both are great for a passenger (granted, not a touring bike). The VFR is a very different bike. It is sportier with much smoother drivetrain. Also, component wise the VFR has top end stuff whereas the FZ was built on a budget. Both bikes are great and will serve you well. If you do more city riding I think the FZ6 is a little better. On the highway, the VFR is much much better. Ergonomics on the VFR are different for sure (I am 5'8"), but once you get used to them are very comfortable. Check out cycle-ergo.com and put your height and inseam. I just did a 350 mixed highway and back roads ride on Sunday on the VFR and it was great. FZ1 is worse for a passenger. Seat is not as comfortable and I think the pegs are not as low as FZ6. Plus, fuel consumption is much worse than FZ6. The only reason I replaced the FZ6 was because I got bored and came across a killer deal on the VFR. Check out the GSX650F as well...
Good luck with your choice.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
If I was going to ride 2 up, FZ1 or 1200 Bandit.
Solo, the FZ6 is great.

With the power and beefed up suspension on the larger bikes, you won`t give the extra weight of a passenger a second thought.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think such big engines are overkill with 2 up since you are much more likely to be riding more sedately. To some degree, if I twist the throttle, I would rather have a slower response when I am with a passenger otherwise I will loose the passenger. Honestly, even the FZ6 has plenty of power especially if you just ride it 500-1000 rpm higher those times you are with a passenger. Coming from a 155 lbs rider with a 125 lbs passenger

Last edited: