May be a dumb question

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
so im still looking for the FZ6 of my dreams and when i find her ill know it but in the mean time i have a question about gas mileage when looking at different bikes online for sale it seems the owners with the 06 and earlier models are reporting over 50 MPG and the owners of the 07 and later models are reporting around 40-45 MPG did yamaha change something with the newer models? Are these numbers accurate? thanks -Matt

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there's figure fudging.

I have an '05 and get pretty consistent 42-46mpg.

This is not to say 50+mpg isn't possible, but I don't get that on my bike.

Cheers,
Rick

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
so im still looking for the FZ6 of my dreams and when i find her ill know it but in the mean time i have a question about gas mileage when looking at different bikes online for sale it seems the owners with the 06 and earlier models are reporting over 50 MPG and the owners of the 07 and later models are reporting around 40-45 MPG did yamaha change something with the newer models? Are these numbers accurate? thanks -Matt
Maybe some people are filling up and riding only freeway for 150-200 miles and getting 50mpg which is probably accurate. I only got 42-45 on mine daily riding.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to turn this into a "what MPG do you get" thread, but I think it just depends how their ridden.

I personally am not aware of any changes that would decrease the MPG from '06 to '07.

I would just say that when you find your FZ6, make sure its spark plugs are good, throttle bodies are sync'd, air filter is good, chain is clean and lubed, and wheel bearings/axles are good (the wheels spin relatively freely in air). Also make sure the oil is the correct type. It seems a lot of people just put in automotive oil which will apparently wreak havoc.

I'm kind of a maintenance freak and I'll rarely get less than 40 in the city. If I take a day trip out on the "open road" I'll get 54 high without any real special effort. Admittedly I rarely spin it past 8000 RPM or so.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I ride mostly to and from work, average speed is probably around 30-40MPH on surface streets and alot of traffic. I do run it up over 10 grand every so often, but for th emost part I'm a pretty calm dude on the bike. Here's my mileage, just for reference.

The difference in actual and indicated is because although the SpeedoDRD has my MPH right, now my ODO is off by about 7.7%. So, when it way's I've gone 100 miles, I've actually gone 107.7 miles.

Anyway...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check my sig. I use Fuelly, which does the same sort of thing and you can che k our my past history, every fuelup I've done - and you can choose to show it in your personal units of measure.(I'm metric, but you can choose to show it imperial if that is your choice)

Great way to keep track of changes in efficiency and other factors.

Cheers,
Rick

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a differance as well between the British (imperial) gallon and the American gallon.... The imperial gallon is 20% larger.... Riders in Britain will therefore get a higher MPG.... Albeit with the same fuel consumption....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True - but both units of measure are imperial.

There is only ONE metric, a litre is a litre (unless you're Americanese and can't spell, then it's a liter)

Either way, it is still 1000ml.

Also, if a UK gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon, wouldn't you expect the distance travelled at the same efficiency to be 20% greater?

Certainly a bigger difference than 5mpg. (45-50)

Cheers,
Rick

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Also, if a UK gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon, wouldn't you expect the distance travelled at the same efficiency to be 20% greater?

Certainly a bigger difference than 5mpg. (45-50)

Cheers,
Rick

Yeah, but our mile is shorter and the space time continuum is a bit different due to the shift in the polar ice caps and the magnetic pull of Saturn (or one of it's moons, I can't remember which)

J/K, I couldn't resist :D

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is they started using fuel injection instead of carburetion - but I would think this would be an improvement. Like some of the others say - it heavily depends on the rider and how the bike is ridden. I ride every day, everywhere I go - and I get 40 - 45. In the very few circumstances I really romp on it - i'd say about 38mpg.

Fuel injection is the way to go in my opinion. Others may say differently, however I am a fan of technology. Carbs become not synchronized, dirty, and very inefficient over time. Fuel injectors are a quick replace, and let a computer take over for fuel management. They're more efficient, more reliable, easier, and cheaper to replace. They require less maintenance, and can be easily retuned should you choose upgrades.

Carbs are old school, some swear by em, some don't. Given the choice of not riding at all versus riding with carbs - I would choose the carbs still. So I don't really have anything terrible against them despite what I say, I just prefer fuel injection.

I hadn't heard anybody mention this yet but I feel like if i recall correctly they went from carburetor to fuel injector around 07 or 08? Same time period you refer to.

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
are there any major differences between the 06 and earlier models and the 07 and later??? besides the instrument cluster... thanks for all the replies too guys.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
are there any major differences between the 06 and earlier models and the 07 and later??? besides the instrument cluster... thanks for all the replies too guys.

see model history, here:

Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

42 mpg commuting (10 miles with a dozen signals/stop signs) and as high as 56 mpg on longer rides, for my 2009.

Last edited: