May 2015 Consumer Reports ratings

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The May issue of CR rated motorcycles, and I'm gonna post results from the two most interesting areas, what the heck:

How often do they go to the repair shop?
Yamaha, 11% (yay!)
Suzuki, 12%
Honda, 12%
Kawasaki, 15%
Victory, 17%
HD, 26%
Triumph, 29%
Ducati, 33%
BMW, 40% (ouch!)
Can-Am, 42%

Would current owners buy this brand again?
Victory, 80%
HD, 72%
Honda, 70%
BMW, 68%
Can-Am, 67%
Ducati, 66%
Yamaha, 65%
Triumph, 63%
Kawasaki, 59%
Suzuki, 58%

Take from this what you will, I'm still scratching my chin... :confused:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I would gladly buy another Yamaha. In fact, the 2015 R1 has tickled my fancy ever since it was announced. I would like to get a bike with a bit more soul (think European made), but the Japanese made bikes are just such great performers and are much easier on maintenance.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the repair shop figures, I'm guessing that BMW, Ducati and other high end manufacturer's may receive a larger percentage of bikes simply because special tools, equipment, and essential knowledge and training are required to work on the bikes. And doing the work on your bike may void the warranty on these high end bikes. Wrenching on a $10-$15k Yamaha or Honda, essentially any average skilled wrencher with a service manual can do the job.

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I don't read much into whether or not people would buy the brand again. I'd love to experiment and try out bikes from many different manufacturers given the chance!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I like Yamahas, that being said, I might go for Ducati or an HD(first I'll go with a v-rod) or a LiveWire, because of black widow from Avengers, Age of Ultron, not only she is sexy, even it made look Scarlett look so hot, my eyes debated which one to look at..! ;-)

https://www.google.com/search?q=duc...ed=0CCgQyjc&ei=OwZhVeqjJoOesAXM3YLgBw#imgrc=_

first 4 pics in this list and yes, it is a stunt woman.
And since, it is expensive and electronic(not enough speed and reliability for long rides), I might take a Ducati and remodel it.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the repair shop figures, I'm guessing that BMW, Ducati and other high end manufacturer's may receive a larger percentage of bikes simply because special tools, equipment, and essential knowledge and training are required to work on the bikes.

Not so for routine maintenance. If you know what you are doing, you can change all fluids, bleed the brakes including the ABS modulators, all from the comfort of your own garage, and the warranty is not void. The same is true for Ducati.

Federal law prohibits blanket warranty voids , just because you do your own maintenance. They have to prove that work you did contributed to the part that is defective.

I am a former BMW owners ( I repented of my sins). I am still on a BMW list and know of quite a few people who do their own wrenching on modern BMW bikes.

This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
As for CR, who care what they say regarding motorcycles? They can not even do a credible review of cars. They are best left to toasters, but then, I do not need to read a magazine to buy an appliance.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
@Drymartini, agreed, I was not referring to routine maintenance, but more in line of major maintenance where special manufacture tools and equipment might be required. I guess the BMW's and Ducati's are kind of like the Mercedes of cars, you are more dependent on their service department versus a Ford or Chevy.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
@Drymartini, agreed, I was not referring to routine maintenance, but more in line of major maintenance where special manufacture tools and equipment might be required. I guess the BMW's and Ducati's are kind of like the Mercedes of cars, you are more dependent on their service department versus a Ford or Chevy.

There is no other major (frequent) maintenance., unless the final drive unit went Tango Uniform. Then you would be
Having them fix it, if the bike is under warranty. If not, there are independent shops that are much cheaper.

The most maintenance intensive item on a Ducati is the valve adjustment, and riders have been doing their own for years. Only people with money to burn, pay ducati labor rates.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't trust taking a Ducati into an independent shop where the mechanic may not be certified or not may not be familiar with the bike. Maybe that's just my aviation background coming into play. These bikes are getting more technologically advanced with more electronics and computers and I do believe that proper training is required with proper equipment and tools. In addition, if parts are needed, they may not have them on hand. Nothing worse than paying for maintenance and waiting for parts. I have used many independent shops and even trusted friends doing maintenance for my FZ, and they were much cheaper with satisfied results. But my Yamaha was $7k out the door, my Ducati will be $25k-27k out the door. I'm not going to take any chances with my future dream bike. I know what I'm getting into, it's an extremely expensive bike to own and maintain.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't trust taking a Ducati into an independent shop where the mechanic may not be certified or not may not be familiar with the bike. Maybe that's just my aviation background coming into play. These bikes are getting more technologically advanced with more electronics and computers and I do believe that proper training is required with proper equipment and tools. In addition, if parts are needed, they may not have them on hand. Nothing worse than paying for maintenance and waiting for parts. I have used many independent shops and even trusted friends doing maintenance for my FZ, and they were much cheaper with satisfied results. But my Yamaha was $7k out the door, my Ducati will be $25k-27k out the door. I'm not going to take any chances with my future dream bike. I know what I'm getting into, it's an extremely expensive bike to own and maintain.

My independent tech was a ducati certified tech, with all the nice diagnostic equipment. Ducati's are not expensive, as long as you stay away from the dealer and do the lite stuff yourself. Even valve adjustments are not complicated for anyone mechanically inclined. In fact in the last few years, Ducati has extended the valve adjustment interval due to changes in the desmo valve train. My monster has never bee. Back to the dealer.