May 1st ride from Arnhem to Nijmegen

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a ride today with Frank (Astennu) We met up at a restaurant in Arnhem (vd Valk) at 10 this morning, and after a coffee we set off. First stop the Posbank, a really nice hilly ride along the edge of the Veluwe national park. Unfortunately it was quite busy with cyclists and cars, but this didn't distract from the great views. After this we headed for a shuttle boat over the ijsel river, this was the smallest shuttle boat (for cars) I've been on, you could fit 3 cars at a push .
Here's a windmill we passed:

IMG_1803.JPG

After taking a nice ride through the quaint village of Bronkhorst we headed off to Zutphen, a nice old town.This was an old town gate building:

IMG_1807.JPG

Well I think this figure was not made for someone with such a big head (J/K Frank) :

IMG_1809.JPG

Here we stopped for an omlette and a drink. Heres Franks "Angel eyes" up close:

IMG_1811.JPG

Well the waitress accidentally spilt coke over my helmet (the bottle actually blew over as she placed it on the table :eek:) but luckily my visor was down at the time. I managed to clean it up pretty well but I had a sneaky suspicion that more flies were pestering me than normal .

Here's the view of the city walls at the river, luckily the large tree covers the rubble of the restaurations they were carrying out, which unfortunately made it difficult to get a good pic :

IMG_1814.JPG

After riding a lot of windy (and windy) dike roads we took another shuttle boat back toward Nijmegen.

After a short stop I waved goodbye to Frank and headed off on the dike toward Tiel. Normally I ride a bit of the dike and then head off back towards Wijk bij Duurstede but this time I got a bit carried away and continued on to Tiel. I then headed north to get the shuttle boat to Wijk bij Duurstede, where I stopped for a coffee:

IMG_1818.JPG

And here's the castle:

IMG_1827.JPG

I then set off towards home on the motorway.

About a quarter of an hour before home I decided to take the longer route along the coast, where I saw this:

IMG_1829.JPG

There was a fire raging along the coastal heathlands & woods, made worse by the strong winds and dry shrubland (we may have had a cracking easter but it hasn't been kind to the nature) they are still fighting the fire as I post this.

Many thanks to Frank for a great ride

Anyway I'm home now and regretting not having used some kind of sunscreen earlier in the day. I'm off to bed now cos I'm done for.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice shots. I remember Arnhem---in 1985 a friend let me stay in his vacant apartment just meters from the famous WWII bridge. I remember visiting some windmill park/museum nearby. Yeah, lots of windmills over there!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the windmill picture! It's so beautiful there, I hope they get the fire under control soon. Thanks for sharing with us Martin.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice shots. I remember Arnhem---in 1985 a friend let me stay in his vacant apartment just meters from the famous WWII bridge. I remember visiting some windmill park/museum nearby. Yeah, lots of windmills over there!

Sounds like a great place you stayed :thumbup: unfortunately most of the city was destroyed in the war so it's all pretty new, but there's some great areas nearby. Yeah lots of windmills and lots of wind :thumbup:

I love the windmill picture! It's so beautiful there, I hope they get the fire under control soon. Thanks for sharing with us Martin.
Brenda it looks as if they've managed to douse most of it, this morning 4 helicopter were busy dropping water on the area, but because the dry peat is still smouldering (and the wind has picked up again) they will be hosing down the place all night. 100 soldiers arrived to help out this afternoon , so it should be Ok.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great day for a ride. :rockon:

Yeah it was really sunny, just a bit windy but otherwise perfect :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Martin,

My Grandfather was there in WWII. With the Welsh Guards. It looks beautiful.

Nelly