master key? can i live without it?

elitazzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi people. just almost ready to pickup my new bike fz6n. i fount out that the seller might not have the key. but got 2 black keys with the bike. should i try to take the buying price down cos i don't get the red key?:rolleyes:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm living without the red key for almost 7 years without any issues.
My bike came with just one black key but it is possible to make a clone black key also. Locksmith manufactured a spare black key for $50. No need red key anymore.

Last edited:

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
Would say never really needed but PO needed it on my bike a couple months before selling it.
This was because of leaving it sitting for too long and battery dying then needing replacing. Needed to use red key first then black key.
I do believe just having the code off the red key would suffice then taking it to a Yamaha dealer or something (have since written it into my owners manual).
If you'll ride it often wouldn't say it would be a necessity though.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought mine with only black key, I'm the third owner. The first lost the red key so the second owner had only black and to me.I duplicated 2 more key as for backup.

What does the red key actually do? If it has all paper work, bike is not savage title, I believe we can prove the Yamaha dealer all legal paper to PO request another redkey if needed.

I bought the bike but never know the savage title will make a lot different in insurance until I was asked by the agent, he told me savage title is way way higher up premium cost, be careful when purchasing the used bike!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What does the red key actually do? If it has all paper work, bike is not savage title, I believe we can prove the Yamaha dealer all legal paper to PO request another redkey if needed.

The RED key is critcal for the bikes overseas with the immobilizer(security feature).

Here in the states, we don't have the immobilizer (nor the need for a RED KEY)..

From the link I posted above;

Yamaha
Yamaha uses the Yamaha key-integrated immobilizer system.
The immobilizer system is built in the ECM/ECU-unit and or immobilizer ignition switch ring antenna, so we will need the unit and the antenna in order to make the keys work.
The red key is the main key. The black keys are the keys for daily use.

Last edited:

funkycold

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up my bike on Saturday, only got one black key. I didn't even know about a red key. Seems like not a big deal though. :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like all is well as long as the last key is not lost subject to abuse. As you know, w/out the RED key the system can neither store new key(s) or reject a lost key.

"By the book" it indicates "replacement as the only option". But you can always throw money at it!
If you lose the code re-registering key, the ECU and main switch immobilizer unit need to be replaced.

Some helpful hints should they come into view....
  • 52 Codes between the key and immobilizer unit do not match.
  • 53 Codes cannot be transmitted between the ECU and the immobilizer unit.
  • 54 Codes transmitted between the ECU and the immobilizer unit do not match.
  • 55 Key code registration malfunction. Same standard key was attempted to be registered two consecutive times.
  • 56 Undefinition code is received.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=6038]fazil[/MENTION] - look at the other options that site offers.....

FZ6 Fazer 600 (2005-2010) : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

FAQ : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

What are the modifications offered with the ECU Reflash? ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application) * Remove Factory Timing Retard * Remove Throttle Restrictions * Increased Idle * Increased Rev Limit * Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent) * Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration * Improved Throttle Control & Reaction * Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration * Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper) * Improved Fuel Maps * Improved Ignition Maps * Injector Phasing Adjustment * Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only) * Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations “Return to Stock” Option All ECU’s can be reprogrammed back to it’s stock settings at anytime. (fee’s will apply) The Tune Files have been Dyno tested and tuned for maximum performance. While most vehicles show a 6-10% increased in power, we have seen vehicles result in as high as +20% power gains.

ECU Tuning – Tune Files

/// sounds like ECUnleashed in the back room!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I've bought a spare Ecu very cheap from ebay years ago, a non immoblized Us version ecu.
if somehow, something bad happens to my Euro version immoblized ecu, i can by pass the red key troubles may be.