Manual Cam Tensioner options for 06' FZ6

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say that I have any experience with this, but i would recommend comparing the extended length of the manual adjuster to the full extended length of the stock automatic adjuster. This will give you a base-line to compare the manual adjustable unit (i.e. how many threads "in" you will have to be before you are engaged a similar amount as the stock unit). Does that make sense?

Completely makes sense. I was just thinking that. Hopefully I didnt damage the guides or anything if i overtightened. Going to try that and pray *gulp*.

EDIT:

Measured the auto tensioner... was 1 3/4". Adjusted manual tensioner to 1 3/4" Let see what happens.

Last edited:

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Okay its in!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I adjusted it as per the discussion above and moved rotor to TDC. Prayed to God, Allah, Yaweh, and Buddah then started bike. Started right up. Best part was that rattling went away. I can still hear normal valve noise and ticking from injectors but that metallic rattle that I heard is completely gone!

I have some kind of winding noise now that increases with rpm but I think thats because the tensioner is a little too tight on the guide and its rubbing the chain slightly more than it should. I'll take slightly tighter than loose and jump tooth. I'll head out to stealership to confirm when I put new tires on bike. It looks like a success.

Thanks for all the advice and support guys.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most important part is that it looks cool. Nice job.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent News!

As Hellgate said, it looks pretty slick as well.

One recommendation; I would probably back out the tensioner a turn or two. I only say that because the automatic adjuster, as you measured it, was likely not in the position that it was before it was removed (spring pre-load extended the automatic adjuster to the full extent of it's range when removed). It is probably safe to say that you are on the "tightest" end of the scale.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick follow up:

Took the bike out for a short ride. Way quieter than it was before and the vibrations have cut down about 50%. I shook the auto tensioner around that I took out and you could hear the rattling of w/e piece was loose. I have to loosen the manual tensioner a little because its a hair too tight. Highly recommend this mod if you are having issues with auto tensioner. Its not hard to do at all.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some FJR's were having similar problems (same set up).

I believe Yamaha upgraded the part.

One poster with lots of experiance strongly suggested removing the chain cover (same as the FZ) and keeping tension on the chain (I believe with a bungee) just for safety sake... If the chain is real loose, I suppose you could jump a tooth if not real carefull..

Most were replacing without removing the cover.

Also, if you turn the inner screw on the stock tensioner CC (clockwise RETRACTS IT) while the engine is running, it'll tighten the tenioner and if its failing/not enough pressure, it'll quiet down immediatly (as if you had a new, tighter tensioner installed)