Magura hydraulic clutch setup

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
I read around regarding the Magura setup, and noticed that their master cylinder uses a unique lever design which there is little after market lever support for. Also, the Magura master cylinder isn't very attractive..

Instantly after seeing the kit, I wondered if an OEM-style Brembo or Nissin clutch master cylinder would be useful for a frankenstein setup with the Magura slave cylinder (available separately for about $70.)

Anybody tried this, or anybody see any issues uses the aforementioned master cylinders?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read around regarding the Magura setup, and noticed that their master cylinder uses a unique lever design which there is little after market lever support for. Also, the Magura master cylinder isn't very attractive..

Instantly after seeing the kit, I wondered if an OEM-style Brembo or Nissin clutch master cylinder would be useful for a frankenstein setup with the Magura slave cylinder (available separately for about $70.)

Anybody tried this, or anybody see any issues uses the aforementioned master cylinders?

Firstly (that's a word right), ASV is in the process of manufacturing a lever for the Magura Hymec master cylinder. The production was supposed to be complete near the end of September; I will follow up to see where they are.

Secondly, Where are you finding a Brembo or Nissin Clutch master for that cheap? I ask because I had searched for a long time before Magura began manufacturing a unit for our bikes and I believe the cheapest I found was near $195!

Other than that, I think the only issue with using a Brembo or Nissin would be the fluid. Magura uses mineral oil, and the corresponding gaskets/o-rings suitable for mineral oil. Most other manufacturers use DOT rated hydraulic fluid which will destroy the o-rings of a mineral oil set-up. I am not positive, but I believe that mineral oil does not work with the material used for DOT fluids.

Have you looked at Magura's Radial master product line-up? (Check out Post #1 on this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/group-purchases/30362-group-buy-magura-hymec-hydraulic-clutch.html) Again, these run in the $200 range but are set-up for mineral oil.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Used (even with a rebuild kit) master cylinders can be had fairly cheap. I didn't realize they used mineral oil, so I guess it's not on the table anyhow.

I guess if ASV is close to releasing a lever (shorty?) I'd be alright with the setup in stock form.

Thanks for the info!