Lowside crash yesterday

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd post up here for my FZ6-Forum friends.

Well, I have now had my first get-off up in the Santa Monica mountains yesterday. It was the last hairpin turn on Piuma (the one that's so tight it has that convex mirror near that fire road that lets out there) before you get to Las Virgenes / Malibu Canyon Road.

malibu ca - Google Maps

or malibu ca - Google Maps

That link should take you to the "street view" of the berm where my bike ended up.

Here are my pictures of it:

3340253498_0e5c0c1137_b.jpg

3340253350_2b318da555_b.jpg

3339424933_2edf67ba3f_b.jpg

Damage to the bike:

3339425279_3061dbd36d_b.jpg

3340254434_56539b329a_b.jpg

3340254290_23eac7b100_b.jpg

Also the bar end and the mirror are a bit scuffed up, but not too bad. The shifter was also bent back some, but I tweaked it back after I got home.

I am completely unharmed. The 1-piece Teknik is a little scuffed on the left hip and ass, but that's about it. My left cheap-ass Teknik gauntlet is pretty shredded in the palm, on one of the thinnest parts. It will definitely need to be replaced and I am kind of shocked at how badly it fared compared to my leathers and boots, which are scuffed but really not bad looking at all.

I was coming down Piuma (having gone up from Las Flores Canyon) and was going quite slow, at or below the posted limit. It's a very tight turn and that silty sand must have blended in with the asphalt with the light the way that it was. I didn't see it at all until I went back to look for it.

I was making the turn, and about mid corner (not applying too much gas, just enough to carry the momentum) suddenly I am looking at the exit of the turn sideways, and the bike is skidding in front of me towards that dirt hillside. I slid just a little and hopped right up, ran over to the bike and shut off the key (it had quit running). I was able to pick up the bike, move it out of the crash zone a ways, and give it a once over before anyone else even came by (another group of bikes).

So, it was a rather short ride (in the mountains at least). I did pull over in that park off of Las Virgenes to take the fairings off, check everything out (brake lines, coolant hoses, the frame, tires, etc.) and clean it up, which gave me a while to get my head straight before riding home. Thankfully I am fine except for my damn crash-damaged bike. I think I will probably try to sand down the case a little bit and rattle-can it black with that bar-b-que paint I have. I may paint little black "wings" or accents on the upper fairing (I'd do both sides so that it matches) where it was ground down.

What a bummer. I turned 8,000 miles on my way home too.

D

Deleted member 2349

Thats a nasty looking turn, especially that pile of dirt...not a place I would be pushing myself thats for sure...and i thought dealing with the NY potholes were bad.

Sorry to hear about the downage.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! I bet you are sore today. Looks like you and your bike came out okay, all things considered.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok! Wow where the sand is it almost looks like it was placed there on purpose. Anyone in the country who has to deal with snow should take notice as this is all over our roads.

Give the bruises time to heal and get back out there.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you didn't get hurt. Quality gear= increased chance of survival.

Once again folks, PLEASE be careful out there! After winter rain/snow it will be a while before roads are consistently clear of debris. If you can't stop your bike before you run out of visible roadway, slow down.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Horrible luck, but I am glad you are ok. Food for thought, before you paint the fairing, You can replace just the eyebrow piece on your fairing if that is all that was damaged. I need to do the same on mine. I think it is part #8.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To paraphrase, "Any ride you walk away from is a good ride!" I'm sad that you rashed up you bike, but glad you're OK. Everything else can be fixed or replaced.

You can always watch ebay for engine parts.

You also got me thinkin' again about getting that set of axle & frame sliders.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that but it looks like the bike held up great, let us know how the bbq paint works out, take pictures.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Horrible luck, but I am glad you are ok. Food for thought, before you paint the fairing, You can replace just the eyebrow piece on your fairing if that is all that was damaged. I need to do the same on mine. I think it is part #8.

The 07+ fairing is so superior, I bet they built it like that on purpose because that area always gets damaged first. Plus you can open the radiator without removing the fairing.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK mate,
Put that one down to experience, I wouldn't be to disappointed with your gloves.
They have to be thinner leather to keep the balance of protection and feel of the controls. Kangaroo leather is brilliant in gloves. They have done their job in my book.
I treat my protective gear as single crash items. They are there to do the job. I would also get someone to check your leathers out to ensure that they are still OK.

Sand on the road is tricky to see and as hazardous as ice. Judging by your pictures your not the only one to hit the deck there?
I also notice that your rotor bolts have a high degree of oxidization around them. Time to do a bit of maintenance.
Your crash bobbin did a great job what make is it please.

Nelly

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
very sorry to hear that. Thankfully you are OK. The bike can be fixed. Thanks for posting.

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the post Mark . Gutted for you but glad your ok.
Mad thing spills like these , don't know if its the same for everyone else but the mind fuction for me i find is not the most logical straight after a down

1. Straight up looking around to see if anyone spotted me going down
2. Check wheels to see what damaged I caused to me pride and joy
3. Then and only then does it occur to me to check myself out

obviously the spills I'm talking about here are skids and drops at low speeds that one can walk away from (none more serious yet - touch wood) but still it suprises me how stiff / sore they can be the day after considering the order of importance my mind placed on my body at the time of the accident.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it happend. That turn looks really dangerous. Either side you take, there is so much gravel. Am glad you did not get hurt and thats the most import part. Bikes are replacable, humans are NOT.
Ride safe all.