Low speed 1t+2nd gear - pop sound in maybe gear area ?

getsum

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride the bike 100 miles a day with 90% on hwy doing most 75 mph.

I have always had the little exhaust/lifter sounding noise - so no biggy..

TODAY :

I notice when I am close to home and slowing to turn at a light....
When I try to accelerate at low speed in first or 2nd gear I hear ----
A little plasticy almost sounding popping sound 5-6 times coming from the lower/rear area of the engine.
It is faint, but enought that I am asking advice.

It goes away once the bike accelerates from the initial throttle bump.
"It sounds like the initial pop of the slack being taken up when you give the throttle a pull and the gear/chain system all engages and tightens up".
------But it is 5-6 pops or so, not just one.

I sprayed the chain with chain wax and it is still there. The chain does not seem to be any way in slack.

i was twisting the throttle with it on the middle stand and in 1st gear and could hear it a bit. I got a long screw driver and put it to my ear all over the motor and get nothing out of the ordinary in places that I can hear, but sounds to be deap and in rear of lower motor almost by the - tooth housing .

Advice ?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I ride the bike 100 miles a day with 90% on hwy doing most 75 mph.

I have always had the little exhaust/lifter sounding noise - so no biggy..

TODAY :

I notice when I am close to home and slowing to turn at a light....
When I try to accelerate at low speed in first or 2nd gear I hear ----
A little plasticy almost sounding popping sound 5-6 times coming from the lower/rear area of the engine.
It is faint, but enought that I am asking advice.

It goes away once the bike accelerates from the initial throttle bump.
"It sounds like the initial pop of the slack being taken up when you give the throttle a pull and the gear/chain system all engages and tightens up".
------But it is 5-6 pops or so, not just one.

I sprayed the chain with chain wax and it is still there. The chain does not seem to be any way in slack.

i was twisting the throttle with it on the middle stand and in 1st gear and could hear it a bit. I got a long screw driver and put it to my ear all over the motor and get nothing out of the ordinary in places that I can hear, but sounds to be deap and in rear of lower motor almost by the - tooth housing .

Advice ?

How many miles on the bike, and how many miles on the chain and sprockets? Is the final drive all OEM?

Pull the front sprocket cover, and look closely at the teeth of the front sprocket. It sounds to me like you are experiencing 'hooked teeth'.

The sprocket wears on the driven face of the tooth, so the rollers in the chain sink deeper and deeper into the sprocket over time with normal wear.

If a previous owner has changed out the front sprocket for an after market one, it's a good bet this is the issue...... if you have the chain too tight, that will accelerate the wear on the chain, AND the sprockets.

If anything, you always want to adjust the chain to the loosest acceptable setting, according to the owner's manual. There has to be enough slack in there to allow the swing arm to move through it's full arc.

The distance between sprockets does not stay the same..... the chain is tighter when the suspension is fully compressed. You have to have enough slack when the suspension is extended (either on the center stand or side stand) to allow for that.