Low profile top case mount?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
We all know top cases are pretty garish when mounted, so there's no real "good looking" options there, but what about the mount itself when the case isn't on the bike? I'd like to be able to install/remove a top case relatively quickly, and for the mount to not look like a serving tray when the case is not on the bike. Any suggestions? Pictures of your install would be great.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha, "clamp around the rear passenger grab bar" (no drilling) mount assembly (no top case). I had to order it from England.

I then took an 1/8" aluminum plate and trimmed it to stick approx 1" wider than the Yamaha mount. I also drilled holes every little bit for bungee cord/tie downs. I also extended the plate forward, on the outside a little(for stapping down larger objects). Four, SS recessed metric bolts with SS nylon self locking nuts securing the plate to the rack. Should you need to remove it quickly, its four bolts.

I finished it off with truck, spray can, black, bed liner. slightly textured and extremly tough.

IMHO, its not too obtrusive looking an I use it all the time!!

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've wanted a top case and mount that looked stock for a while, and decided a custom grab handle mount + custom painted and shaped case was the only option for me.

Since I'm not artistically include with fiberglass, body work and whatnot, I don't plan on making one anytime soon.

Scott, do you have any concerns with brake light visibility? That looks like it sticks out pretty far.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put the Givi MonoKey topcase mount on this season and I like the look with the case off. The rails follow the swoop of the bike and the plate is not very big, plus the hole in the center makes it look smaller.

Looks are subjective, but there is one FACT I can tell you...it mounts REALLY SOLIDLY! Feels like i can hang the bike by it. No shakes, rattles or movement of any kind.

Good luck...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've wanted a top case and mount that looked stock for a while, and decided a custom grab handle mount + custom painted and shaped case was the only option for me.

Since I'm not artistically include with fiberglass, body work and whatnot, I don't plan on making one anytime soon.

Scott, do you have any concerns with brake light visibility? That looks like it sticks out pretty far.

Not at all. It looks large looking straight down, from the side, its not nearly as noticable, its mounted in all 3 pictures below. If you have a really good imagination, could be an "air foil"!! :thumbup: The last picture is before my Scorp's and rack (Oct, 2010)

The entire assembly is above the tail light (look close at the clamp on rack and its relation to the tail light). Its a Genuine Yamaha rack, their NOT going to sell anything remotely dangerous (blocking the tail light). My plate just bolts above it, maybe an inch wider than the the Yamaha rack. The tail light is easily visable and the Hyperlight runnning/flashing brake light makes visability from the rear brighter than most cars..

Took a little bit of getting used to but I wouldn't/couldn't do without it.

Its my daily driver, I can bungee down just about anything to it. The truck doesn't get run much...

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Food for thought:

On my old bike, a 2000 Kawasaki ZX6R, I ebayed an extra rear seat, removed the foam, and bolted a Givi mounting plate to it. It worked really well, I had a 50L case. If I wanted to take a passenger, just swap the stock seat back on. This works if you never need to carry a passenger and luggage at the same time.

202072d1285001523-went-out-gallon-milk-last-night-trunk05.jpg

202070d1285001523-went-out-gallon-milk-last-night-trunk03.jpg

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Shad top master with 36L coocase mounting plate. Not too bad, and follows the lines of the tail when the box is off. The top mounting plate can be removed with 4 bolts quickly leaving 2-1/4 in overhand over the brake light. With the plate attached it hangs over the brake light 6 inches but still allows me to see the brake from eyelevel at 3 feet behind the bike.

As you can see I'm string aligning my rear wheel today! (Previous owner had it within .2 inches, so I'm satisfied.)

8aqavu8a.jpg

vatysu9e.jpg

ajyna2y6.jpg

ebyra9at.jpg

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the "extra seat" mod is one of the most innovative, though it may not work with the FZ6 seat. Maybe I'm wrong?

The Givi mount looks like the cleanest, though dang if it's not expensive just for the mount!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to thread jack any more than I have already, but both strings are attached to the horizontal foot rest bar on a metal bar stool. Worked well.

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
The shad rack is tiny and pretty unobtrusive when compared to the GIVI or Yamaha rack. It's also the closest fit and gives you a platform to mount whatever to plate you would like, I have a small rack bolted to mine.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Not only can you remove it, you don't even have to buy a shad top case or plate. Just the rack.

I don't have a shad top plate on mine.

Do you have a picture of this? I'd seen a few Shad top case mounts and they always looked like a giant serving tray. It would be nice to see one that's smaller/gone.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Low profile top case mount?

Do you have a picture of this? I'd seen a few Shad top case mounts and they always looked like a giant serving tray. It would be nice to see one that's smaller/gone.

This is the smallest the shad top rack gets with any mounting plate/adapter removed. Like I said, it sticks over the brake light a few inches, but still not too large compared to other racks.

enady9ah.jpg

mdnitro

Reaction score
Visit site

It's quite small if you don't put the mounting tray that comes with the box. I would highly recommended this to my friends over the bulky givi rack. It's very strong and sleek looking designed rack, also you can add the side rack/boxes to it for longer tour very easily. However, if you plan to install one on your bike, I would suggested that you to put the four screws in first, prior to the two main bolts up in front to avoid cross threading those screws. I would also wrap the area where the four screws mounted with electrical tape and cut the bottom to allow the plastic spacers to sit in properly. It took me 30 minutes from start to finished, and perhaps 20 now if I would to do it again. Btw, a little anti-seize on those crews will get them in much better and will help when it's time to remove them too. Good luck, ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention that there will be two larger screws left over after the rack mounted. They will go on the side box mounting spots.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks pretty low profile. How do you mount the box to the plate without the tray? Is it more of an ordeal? I'm hoping for something I can just kind of snap on and off without too much hassle if I need to haul groceries or other items, and then take it off when I'm just going out for a ride.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The only way you could mount a box without a mounting plate (like I had on in my first pictures) is by drilling holes in the bottom of your box that go through the existing holes in the rack and probably reinforcing the plastic inside the box with a metal plate or large washers to ensure it doesn't fall off when loaded. Either way you are busting out a screwdriver and a wrench to install/remove the case. With a drill, the proper bit and a socket it takes 30 seconds to take off that mounting plate that comes with any top case.

Last edited: