Low gear "popping?"

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
My '09 FZ6 just ticked 3000 miles today. I bought it new a year ago next week. Recently (about a month), I have been noticing a fairly loud "pop" when I shift up into 2nd and sometimes 3rd, and when I shift down into 2nd and first. The higher gears are smooth shifting and quiet.

Occasionally, I'll get some serious chatter when downshifting to 1st as I roll to stop, and have trouble getting from neutral to first when at the light, stop sign, etc.

I checked the tension in the clutch cable and my adjustments, whether they were needed or not, didn't do anything.

Is any of this normal? Anyone have the same issue?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Just adjust the clutch cable adjuster. The cable stretches well maybe the casing shrinks with age and thats why the adjuster is there.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The things I've noticed that affect shifting are chain tension (very likely to be your issue), and oil changes.

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
Just adjust the clutch cable adjuster. The cable stretches well maybe the casing shrinks with age and thats why the adjuster is there.

I adjusted the clutch cable using the adjuster on the handlebar. There was a bit of free play, so I tightened it up thinking that maybe the clutch wasn't fulling disengaging. But that didn't make a difference. Also, I don't believe that would explain why the problem is only affecting lower gears.

FizzyDiver

Reaction score
Visit site
The things I've noticed that affect shifting are chain tension (very likely to be your issue), and oil changes.

TBH I have not checked the chain tension in a while. I'll do that next, and I have an oil change planned for the weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks!

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
TBH I have not checked the chain tension in a while. I'll do that next, and I have an oil change planned for the weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks!

Also just to make sure you're on the same page, the fizzers are famous for having a loud clunk going from neutral down into first, and a decently loud pop going up into second. I notice it getting worse when my chain isn't adjusted correctly, and it gets a little better with brand new synthetic oil, but it's definately normal to have those sounds to some degree.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is normal. Mine has always done it. It's a feature! :)

Neutral to 1st - sounds like a loud clunk.

1st to 2nd - loud clunk

3rd to 4th - slightly less of a clunk etc...but by this time you probably just can't hear the loud clunk for the road/wind/engine noise.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually hear a loud clunk, and sometime feel the parts jolt when going from 2/N to 1, and just a loud clunk going from 1/N to 2. Anything between 2 and 6 I hear a click, but is smooth for me.