Loud Engine Tick...

FreeFloatingCloud

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, apologies, I know this issue seems to come up a lot but I really would appreciate some guidance.

Recently got a 2008 FZ6S with 20,000 km's. It has a very loud engine tick, the seller said its nothing to worry about and looking online there seem to be differing opinions, some say it's an issue serious enough to warrant diagnosis and repair, others say it's the yamatick, nothing of concern.

So, the tick occurs all the time. Does not matter whether the engine is cold or warm, and varies with engine speed, that is it speeds up as RPM's increase. Around 6 or 7000 rpm and above the tick is too fast to discern above the engine noise. The tick is really quite loud, can hear it with helmet on and visor down easily. I've tried using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope touching various engine parts (including CCT bolt on right side) but can't find the source. It doesn't seem to be louder on one side compared to the other.

It sounds almost exactly like the noise in this guy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Wn_Q86AFg

thanks for any direction :don'tknow:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish you had some light on that video but plus 1 ^^ on a loose valve needing shimming.

That ticking is NOT normal...

If you can, it should be the loudest inside the valve cover (top of the engine).

How many miles on the bike and were the valves ever checked / or adjusted?

Any maintenance records?

Bcwalks2

Reaction score
Visit site
Check you Yamatick. Many of the R6's and the Fazers have a tick from the valves. Very normal and nothing to worry about.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If properly adjusted and within specification, there is no tick. So, do the right thing and adjust them.

Cause guess what happens when the lash becomes excessive; the keeper on the valve stem flies off and bye bye engine!!!

Proper maintenance or new engine. Your choice. To your point tho, can they tick and live? Yes. Do you know when they'll come apart? No. But ticking and high RPMs are deadly combo's.

Bcwalks2

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 100 ^^^^^.

Ignore it, start saving your $, should it let loose, start looking in the Parts for Sale section.

And NO, its definitely NOT normal..

I guess I am a little confused, as far as I have known, a little tick is okay. Where does the line get drawn at? If valves aren't supposed to be checked until 26k miles and even then many are still within spec there should be no issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I am a little confused, as far as I have known, a little tick is okay. Where does the line get drawn at? If valves aren't supposed to be checked until 26k miles and even then many are still within spec there should be no issue.

Did you listen to the audio he posted? Its WAY louder than it should be and very obvious one's very loose..

Some slight tick is fine, but his is way beyond that.

Listen to his audio, then listen to mine(video/audio was made to show voltages at idle), but you can hear how much
Quieter mine is with Open Scorps and in the garage yet : https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/

Any difference? Quite a bit..

Bcwalks2

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you listen to the audio he posted? Its WAY louder than it should be and very obvious one's very loose..

Listen to his audio, then listen to mine(video/audio was made to show voltages at idle), but you can hear how much
Quieter mine is with Open Scorps and in the garage yet : https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/

Ah, thank you for posting that. Now that there is something to compare it to I see what you're saying. I notice a faint tick with mine at low RPM's while riding (3-5k).

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a super quiet FZ6!

Listening to all of these I'm wondering if mine may be a bit off. I did check my exhaust bolts and found that they were all not quite where I thought they should be - torque wise. I haven't had a chance to ride yet to confirm that helped my rattle/tick/vibes.

I have 16k miles on mine, and it's been pretty well maintained by previous owners. I'm pretty paranoid about mechanical noises both on the bike and my cars. My 2010 Camaro seemed awful to me because the natural noise of the direct injection (high pressure injectors) gave it a constant ticking sound. That one went 100k miles no problem though!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a super quiet FZ6!

Listening to all of these I'm wondering if mine may be a bit off. I did check my exhaust bolts and found that they were all not quite where I thought they should be - torque wise. I haven't had a chance to ride yet to confirm that helped my rattle/tick/vibes.

I have 16k miles on mine, and it's been pretty well maintained by previous owners. I'm pretty paranoid about mechanical noises both on the bike and my cars. My 2010 Camaro seemed awful to me because the natural noise of the direct injection (high pressure injectors) gave it a constant ticking sound. That one went 100k miles no problem though!

Thanks,

That's at 18,000+ miles, its now at 22,000 and change. Still sounds the same..

And the PO, a youngster, beat the snot out of it new, little to no maintenance till I bought it..

(and I haven't adjusted /checked the valveless yet. Got the shims, just waiting for some
more miles (or loud ticking) AND winter...

BTW, I had to torque 3 or 4 exhaust nuts as well as they loosened up too (slightly different noise)

Bcwalks2

Reaction score
Visit site

Now that there is a comparison, I hear the difference. Thanks for posting!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: I did mine at 20,000 as I could hear two or three of them. When checked I found this:
attachment.php

So, even that small amount is audible. IIRC another member was out even more and he said it routinely visisted 13.5K and never dropped a keeper.

Point: it seems they can handle some but as stated, high RPM and excessive clearance can pop the valves keeper off and its show over.

I want to say it over 0.56mm or so.

The flip side is 20% come in too tight which makez them silent. Silent kills by holding the valve open slightly as it had NO clearance without the cooling effect from seating in the head, the valve burns a hole in it and you loose compression.

FreeFloatingCloud

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciate your input guys. Think im going to take it to the local Yammy dealer for their opinion and potentially a quote for valve adjustment, if its too dear might have to study up and do it myself. Was thinking I'd put in iridium plugs while I'm there. Amything else worth doing while shes in pieces?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Confirm the plug caps are screwed on to the wire and tight. They should not free spin if you hold the wire and rotate the cap clockwise. Them being loose has been known to induce harmonic vibrations from 4k on up!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And put just a little bit of dielectric grease on the rubber boots where it meets the valve cover.

And when removing the caps, be very gentle, if needed to pry, do so on the outside of the rubber cap.

With the dielectric grease, on the re-install, it'll be MUCH EASIER and you'll actually hear/feel the cap snap on..

BTW, checking is not super hard, more time consuming. If you find one loose, you can always have the shop
do the actual adjustment/shim swap.

You have 85% of the work already done getting to that point.

.It'd probably me an hour labor at that point vs 4-6 hours if they did everything

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But then you have to trailer it there...

From start to valve cover off; was one hour and I was cleaning stuff along the way.
Fairing, Tank, battery, air box, coolant out and radiator off, then more cleaning before valve cover came off.
TearDown2ValveCheck_zpsdahpu6w4.gif

Also - shop manual adds labor to pull the throttle bodies off. This is NOT necessary. Don't let a shop bill labor on something they may not do especially when it doesnt add value to the job.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its smack dab in the way. Doubt the valve cover would come out with there either.

Fairing is optional. More light and ease of access. Its quick and easy and less to be reaching around. A win in my book. Unless you have an actual bike lift.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its smack dab in the way. Doubt the valve cover would come out with there either.

Fairing is optional. More light and ease of access. Its quick and easy and less to be reaching around. A win in my book. Unless you have an actual bike lift.

I have too much wiring running back and forth in the fairing besides the Steble horn, GPS, outlet harness, etc to pull the fairing...

I figured you could measure valves from the middle out, but if the cover comes off thru the front, it's necessary, tks...

I do have a lift, but its only good for Harleys, G0ldwings, (full frame bikes) and won't accommodate the FZ..