Lost Key

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Hey guys, long time no see but I've been up to no good at the track beating an old R6 into the ground. :D

I know this has been discussed but wasn't having any luck with the search. I lost my key and the backup (which I know I should never even have used) shortly after. No idea how, in fact one of em has to be here in the apartment but I just cannot find it.

At any rate, what are my options here, am I doomed to replace the ignition? Or is there another way?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, long time no see but I've been up to no good at the track beating an old R6 into the ground. :D

I know this has been discussed but wasn't having any luck with the search. I lost my key and the backup (which I know I should never even have used) shortly after. No idea how, in fact one of em has to be here in the apartment but I just cannot find it.

At any rate, what are my options here, am I doomed to replace the ignition? Or is there another way?

Doomed I would say. An auto lock smith might be able to make a new one cheaper than replacing the barrel. That is of course if you don't have a UK bike. Then your you can use the red master to get a new key.
Neil
Ps how does one person go about losing two keys?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
Doomed I would say. An auto lock smith might be able to make a nee one cheaper than replacing the barrel. That is of course if you don't have a UK bike. Then your you can use the red master to get a new key.
Neil
Ps how does one person go about losing two keys?

Bad luck, touch luck or... carelessness :spank:

Doomed I would say too. HISS anti theft is a pain when the keys are gone. Great for theft deterence, not so great for key replacement.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Bad luck, touch luck or... carelessness :spank:

Doomed I would say too. HISS anti theft is a pain when the keys are gone. Great for theft deterence, not so great for key replacement.

Having been warned as many times as I have, carelessness is the only answer. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation folks!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might be better of buying a USA ignition and loom. Might be cheapest option. If you have fire and theft that's also an option (relatively speaking)
Nelly

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike the PO had a spare key and a little metal tag with a code on it (I think 4 letters). I think with the code and paperwork Yamaha can make you a key. These numbers may also be on the ignition barrel. I'd give yamaha a call and see.

Side note: I was able to have my local locksmith store make me an extra spare key from the original for like $3. It just does not have the plastic. This option won't work for those who have the anti-theft transceiver in their ignitions tho (non US bikes if I am correct).

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Feel it's worth noting for future users that when I called to have my ignition replaced they were cool enough to tell me that there's no immobilizer on the 2008 FZ6. When I looked it up, the immobilizer is only standard on the European unit. It seems like no US model should have it(?). I had a locksmith out to cut a new key earlier this week and it works like a charm.