Lost key and Slider broken :(

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
so went out to the bike today to move it so i could have room to park the car in the garage. Went to get the key out of my pocket and looked on my keyring to find it not there! :eek: So went back to the house. I searched all over for that key but I could not find it. I ended up getting the key off the wife's keyring. So went back out there to move it and looked around the bike and noticed the damn right slider was broken! It had split in half. The bolt was still secure but the slider in a drop would just pop off. I have not laid this bike down once as of yet. I only had these sliders for a few months. I haven't been able to ride much since I have just PCS'd to Germany. I think the cold and vibration may have played a role in it breaking. I contacted T-rex to see if they will cover it under warranty just waiting on a reply. If not I will end up buying another set. As for the key issue I need to figure out how to get another one made/ordered. I am going to search the forum to see what I can find. Just wanted to share my experience. If you have these sliders you might want to look at them to make sure they aren't damaged.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you over-torque them?

Good luck with the key.

That was my first thought. That along with really cold weather but who knows not something you would expect to see. Actually first time I've ever seen that.

I used a torque wrench when I put my T-Rex sliders on. If I remember right It only took about 30 ft/lbs to snug them up to specs. Humm strange hope they take care of you.

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't use a torque wrench on them but only tightened them till they were snug(maybe i did over torque them). I guess I should use one this next time around. I would think that if i over torqued them that they should have cracked right away but with it getting colder it may have been just enough to make it split. Now just need to go to a dealer over here in Germany to get the second key made.

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
Want to post an update on the slider. I contacted T-Rex and they are sending me a new one at no cost. Very please with their customer service. All emails were responded to within a day. Very good service!

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hope you have the red key.
You can order a new black key and learn it to the bikes immobilizer with the red key.

BR Robert

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
luckily since my bike is us spec it doesn't have the immobilizer all i need to do is get a new key made. Going to go to a dealer nearby and see if they can make me one. According to Yamaha Europe there is one not too far away. might go there this weekend and see if they can make me a key. Thanks for all your guys inputs!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Want to post an update on the slider. I contacted T-Rex and they are sending me a new one at no cost. Very please with their customer service. All emails were responded to within a day. Very good service!

Sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short with this....... I'm happy to hear that T-Rex is sending you a replacement........ If this part is exactly the same on both sides, I would be highly suspicious of the one that has not already split. Was that discussed at all, and do you think they would replace the opposite side as well?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Imobilizer? ABS? You guys get all the good stuff.
I suppose it's reflected in the initial cost.
Seems I always find the key after I replace the lost one. Good luck!