lost all electrical power riding

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
My son was riding my (soon to be his) '07 FZ6 today, with me following. He was coming out of an easy curve, opening up the throttle, when the engine shut off, the screen went blank, and nothing will work. We checked fuses--OK, and battery connection--OK. I have no idea what the problem might be. Any help out there?? The bike only has 4K miles on it, has always performed flawlessly.
Thanks much!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lift the tank, check the connections to battery (actually put a wrench to them).

Also put a volt meter on the terminals and check the voltage. It should be at 12.8 or so sitting as it sounds like the battery died altogether.

If nothing, get the battery load tested, probably just failed...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance the power comes back when steering the handle bars left and right? You might try it...

With hand held DC volt meter start at the battery terminals and see how far away you have energy with the key on. i.e. -
1) across battery = 12.5V > or more = GOOD
2) from the engine case to + battery terminal = 12.5 > or more = GOOD
3) from " - " battery terminal to fuse on top the battery (BOTH SIDES) = 12.5v > or more = GOOD

And just keep working your way back towards the fuses under the pod cover.

If the battery has taken a jolt as in bike fallen over, cells can open up. Specifically aged lead acid batteries its not uncommon for them to open up internally. They may even read 12.5 volts across the terminals until you place a load on them like turning the lights on or the key on.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He's got NO power.. :(

Where is Scotty when we need him?? :D:D

USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701)%2C_ENT.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main fuse is in an assembly on top of the battery. It's a 30 amp fuse. Check to see, as already mentioned, that the battery connections are good and check that main fuse. If the main fuse is blown. There was a dead short and you will need to check for a shorted wire. Bottom of the ignition switch would be a good place to check for a loose wire that may have shorted against the steering or frame. As mentioned, check steering harness for a pinched/shorted or open wire.:)

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
Lift the tank, look behind the front fairing(steering), and if you have any wires rerouted through the frame Check the wiring harness for any loose connections.

Last edited:

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem once and it was the 30Amp fuse underneath the fuel tank.

I replaced with the spare that comes with the bike and no problems so far.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem once and it was the 30Amp fuse underneath the fuel tank.

I replaced with the spare that comes with the bike and no problems so far.

I would want to know why that fuse popped! it powers everything but the starter - short of 'shorting' something while working on it, something caused it. Try to find out what!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would want to know why that fuse popped! it powers everything but the starter - short of 'shorting' something while working on it, something caused it. Try to find out what!
Zackly! Fuses don't where out something drew over 30 amperes of current to pop that fuse and that was likely a dead short.