Lost a Screw

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oops. :(

On the front tire fender (I think that's what it's called), I've lost a fastening screw on the right side. Heres a couple pictures:

rightsidemissing2.jpg

rightsidemissing1.jpg

And the original on the left side:
leftsideoriginal.jpg

I noticed this almost immediately after it happened. I got home after a two-way trip to Edmonton from Calgary (about 300km each way). And my inspection of the bike when I got home revealed the missing part. I believe the screw is somewhere on the road between Red Deer and Airdrie. Or in other words, permanently lost.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the part so I can replace it myself, or the part number so I can get a new one from Yamaha?
This has contributed to some unappreciated wear on the plastic part, and some very unappreciated rattling when manouevring at low speed.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Diagram for front fender your model year. I think the screw is number 5. If you want an oem replacement, see how much to get shipped through a dealership. They sometimes get better rates than the flat rate shipping through 3rd party site. Especially for just a screw. :BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
M5 bolt, 1mm thread pitch, 25mm in length...costs about 25 cents from a decent hardware shop.

:thumbup:

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Especially for just a screw.

Heh, yeah, that's what's killing me. I can't believe it's just one screw. Reminds me of the time I lost a fastener in one of my riding boots. I went to Home Depot for a single screw the size of a fingernail, worth $0.02. I felt pretty stupid, but they gave it to me no charge! :D

I'm going to remove the screw on the left side and take it to Home Depot again to see if I can find a close match. Failing that, it's off to the dealership!

Thanks for your time and for the diagram!

Edit:
@Wolfman;

Thank you sir! I'm off to a few local shops to see if they can help me out. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heh, yeah, that's what's killing me. I can't believe it's just one screw. Reminds me of the time I lost a fastener in one of my riding boots. I went to Home Depot for a single screw the size of a fingernail, worth $0.02. I felt pretty stupid, but they gave it to me no charge! :D

I'm going to remove the screw on the left side and take it to Home Depot again to see if I can find a close match. Failing that, it's off to the dealership!

Thanks for your time and for the diagram!

Edit:
@Wolfman;

Thank you sir! I'm off to a few local shops to see if they can help me out. :thumbup:

Sorry, one more thing, get 2 bolts, cause the OEM bolt is a wide dome head, which you wont be able to get from anyone other than Yamaha, and they charge like wounded bulls! Get 2 "normal/ generic dome head bolts, and then each side will match...

:thumbup:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I lost that screw once too. And one of the tank bolts up by the steering head. I just ordered a set of extras for both, and some other parts I would eventually need (front and rear sprockets, etc) to make it worth the shipping.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost that screw once too. And one of the tank bolts up by the steering head. I just ordered a set of extras for both, and some other parts I would eventually need (front and rear sprockets, etc) to make it worth the shipping.

Good thinking! :thumbup:

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Smaller old school hardware stores are the best for that stuff. the local Ace hardware:rockon: has so much more then Home Depot or Lowes for little stuff like that. You get how many you want not how many ever in a pack to get to a price point hate it when you need 5 and there in for 4 packs.. I know the one here has bolts very close to that, but I won't admit to some of my odd projects I've done.:D

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Home Depot came through for me again! Sort-of. I went to two locally-owned hardware stores and neither had the right part (thick threads).

Last-ditch effort led me to Home Depot where I found the exact measurements I needed. Only difference is the head. As mentioned, I couldn't find a wide head bolt anywhere, so I just used a washer. This all serves as a good temporary (read: the next few weeks until winter storage) solution. Good enough for me! It may look unsightly to the trained eye, but it's better than the constant rattling I'd get without it.

tempsolution.jpg

Once again, the clerk was nice enough to give it to me free of charge (would have been $1.19 for bolt and washer). For the record, it turned out to be an M6x25mm bolt that fit the bill.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be ordering several parts from Yamaha in the spring, when winter is done with, so this bolt will be on the list to make a bulk order.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt even a trained eye could spot that, unless you told them about it first. Thank you to all responders from me too, as I just lost a bolt up near the instrument cluster; I'll try Ace first. :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
I just lost one of the screws that holds the blinker/horn unit to the bars.

It was good fun merging to get over as I was watching the blinker assembly separate and nearly fall off with my left blinker stuck on! LUCKILY there are two screws holding it on there, but is was completely loose.

I guess it looks like hardware store time for me too!

So yeah guys, check those four bolts too: blinker/etc assembly (x2 bolts), starter/killswitch assembly (x2 bolts).

These bolts face the ground which prevents them from rusting I guess, but they fall right out when loose :spank: Loctite time I think...

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's just my Yamaha shop, but I've ordered a bunch of bolts from them and it's always been $2-3 a screw, I'm sure you spent more than that on gas driving around.

I've lost one of the front tank bolts, one of the side fairing visor bolts, stripped a few of the plastic windshield screws, lost the push clip behind the rubber mirror cover. There might have been more. All replaced with oem Yamaha for a few bucks here and there, definitely worth it for the convenience and getting the same part.