Losing Idle Over Time (09 FZ6s2)

Premises187

Inquisitor
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys, this could be nothing.

I started the bike up a few months ago and something didn't sound right.I noticed it was idling at 900rpm (when warm). Was odd because I'm sure I would of noticed that before.
Anyway I immediately grabbed my screw driver and set it to 1200.
End of.. the bike has ran fine since.

Just the other day I noticed it idling around 1100.

Is it possible the idle screw is unscrewing itself?
Or maybe air pressure/temp has an effect?

I'll change it to 1300 and monitor it closely.

My TPS reads 17-101 and always has done.

Odometer: 18,000 miles

Thanks in advance.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to happen to me as well... I never gave it much thought; I just readjust it once in a while.

When I bought it 2000 miles ago it idled at 900 RPM. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't supposed to be that way. Maybe that was why I seemed to have an exceptionally difficult time not stalling it all the time...haha.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel quality (even from same supplier), air filter condition, weather, and oil condition can all play a role in idle speed. Now add things like spark plug condition, tune, balance, and potential air leaks and the idle can easily change.

I'd suggest a tank of Fuel injector cleaner at the correct ratio for your tank size and try a different fuel supplier for kicks and grins. Check the air filter and make sure all tune-up steps have been done as scheduled. It's probably worthwhile to pull the plugs and look at them too just so you know what they look like condition wise.

A simple thing like the throttle cable being sticky could lead some on goos chase too. The cable has a return (double pull) to prevent this, but it can still get sticky causing hi idles.

You ride in a dusty area by chance?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Like finalimpact stated, lots of things can contribute to idle. I notice my idle will vary even on a single ride! Seems dependent on temperature and humidity, and engine temp as well. I also notice that as my air filter gets more crud on it, that the idle drops a little bit. I think your FZ is ok, nothing to worry about. :thumbup: