PC III USB - first test ride - stuck on road for first time

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm hoping this is a low idle setting problem. That's what a couple of other threads pointed to, and my idle is lower with the PC III than it was before. About 1050 - 1100, whereas it was 1200-1250 before the PC III. I found the idle adjustment, and I'm guessing that I just follow the instructions in the "ADJUSTING THE ENGINE IDLING SPEED” section of the service manual.

So here's the problem description: I bought a second-hand PC III USB and put it on the bike with the stock map, since my bike is stock, and took it for a short ride. There was a lot of traffic, so I had gone a couple of miles before I had a chance to open it up even a little bit, and when I did it acted funny at first, then stalled. By funny, I mean that when I gave it gas, up to about 6K rpm in 2nd, then shifted, once in 3rd, the throttle didn't produce power the way it usually does. The engine felt kinda gurgly like it had a fuel problem. I shifted back into 2nd, still weird, then third, accelerated, went for 4th and it stalled. I'm a pretty slow shifter, so the low idle thing is a suspect. At its worst I got a little worried it might start to buck. But when I pulled off the road and tried to start the bike, it reeked of gasoline so I thought it might be too much fuel in the midrange. Or maybe whatever the computer does when it starts dumped in too much fuel. I didn't smell gas until after I tried to start it, but I also didn't check. Waited about 30 minutes for fuel to evaporate from intake areas, tried to start again, no luck.

I didn't bring my tools (Leading to the formation of a New Rule.) but amazingly, I was parked in front of a hardware store, so I popped in and bought a $9 set of hex keys, lifted the tank and unplugged the PC III. It still didn't start. I then had the (possibly) bright idea that the thought the throttle bodies might just be full of fuel, so I played with the throttle for about a minute, then tried to start it again, and it fired up. The exhaust smelled really rich, (Really, really rich.) but there was no popping. It rode fine with the PC III bypassed for about 4 miles to get home the long way. I got it up around 8K - 9K a couple of times, no issues.

This sounds pretty similar to the problem YamahaMAXdRPMs had, but that was an 08 bike with a PC V. (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/30399-my-power-commander-v-i-hate.html) So I thought I'd post and ask for help.

Apart from adjusting the idle with the PC III back in-line, all I know to do is update the firmware on the PC III and see if that helps. Maybe try the zero map and see if it works like stock. ( I *think* I noticed a difference in throttle - more "smoothness", I guess?) I haven't checked the firmware on the box against the version available for download from the PC site, so I don't even know if it needs an update. If anybody has any experience like this with a PC III USB, I'd appreciate some advice. My last resort is going back to stock and allocating funds for an ECU remap instead. I think it makes more financial sense than dynoing with just the PC III if I don't plan any performance mods. (This bike is still plenty fast for me.)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought but maybe the PCIII you bought DIDN'T have a stock map on it, even though they said it did.

I would go onto the Power Commander website and download a new map.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good lookin' out. I should have mentioned that. The first thing I did once I got power to the thing is save the map on it as 'Previous_Owner' on my laptop and apply the stock map. He said the bike it was on before had aftermarket exhaust. I downloaded all of the maps and the program to manage them as soon as I decided to buy one. I should plug it back up and compare the map on it to the stock map though. Just to make sure my mapping took.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I re-read the PC website and manual, I may also need to set the throttle position. I'm not sure that could cause a stall, but I haven't set it, and I think it's important, too. That first twist to gun it in second was the first time on the ride that I approached WOT.