Loose clutch lever

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have way too much free play in my clutch and the adjuster at the base of the lever isn’t solving my problem. There is about 2.5” of free play that I can’t get out and it’s so bad that I have to push the lever back with my fingers after I’m done shifting just so I can get my fingers around the handlebar.
I looked this up in the service manual and it mentions adjusting the lever using the bolts attached to it under the tank and next to the air box. I’ve gotten this far, however, what the manual doesn’t mention is that this adjustment is squeezed so tight between the air box and the frame, there’s no room to turn any wrenches in there. I found a walk through for this in an older post that says to remove the air box but that seems easier said than done and I can’t seem to find instructions for that in the manual. All of the rubber hoses are making me feel nervous about disconnected the box. I already popped the cover to the box open and replaced the air filter, and there is some other maintenance I will do but this has me stuck. Anybody have advice?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I have way too much free play in my clutch and the adjuster at the base of the lever isn’t solving my problem. There is about 2.5” of free play ... it mentions adjusting the lever using the bolts attached to it under the tank and next to the air box ... there’s no room to turn any wrenches in there ... All of the rubber hoses are making me feel nervous about disconnected the box ... Anybody have advice?

I just did this adjustment when I installed my killernoodle-modified slave lever. The hoses are really no big deal, just squeeze the clamps with pliers, slide them down the hoses a bit, and wiggle the hoses off. Then pull the bottom half of the airbox off of the throttle body intakes. I put baggies over the intakes held on by rubber bands after I got the box off to make sure I didn't drop anything down there. Then it's a piece of cake to get to the mid-cable clutch adjuster, which brings me to my next concern. 2.5" sounds like a lot of free play, more than I would expect from normal cable wear. Not sure the mid-cable adjuster will be able to get it out. Did this condition happen all-of-a-sudden, or gradually? I'd kind of worry that the cable is on its last legs (or maybe strands.) If you think the cable is still good, you might try removing and rotating the slave lever one spline counter-clockwise to take up some or all of the slack. Search for killernoodle's slave lever thread, there's a lot of info in there about installing the lever, adjusting the cable, etc.

If you do take the bottom of the air box off, it can be a little tricky to get the rubber intake boots back on over the intakes. I just put the box in place, then stuck my fingers down each boot and pushed the boot out while pushing the box down to get the boot over the intake body. You should be able to work things back on correctly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this adjustment when I installed my killernoodle-modified slave lever. The hoses are really no big deal, just squeeze the clamps with pliers, slide them down the hoses a bit, and wiggle the hoses off. Then pull the bottom half of the airbox off of the throttle body intakes. I put baggies over the intakes held on by rubber bands after I got the box off to make sure I didn't drop anything down there. Then it's a piece of cake to get to the mid-cable clutch adjuster, which brings me to my next concern. 2.5" sounds like a lot of free play, more than I would expect from normal cable wear. Not sure the mid-cable adjuster will be able to get it out. Did this condition happen all-of-a-sudden, or gradually? I'd kind of worry that the cable is on its last legs (or maybe strands.) If you think the cable is still good, you might try removing and rotating the slave lever one spline counter-clockwise to take up some or all of the slack. Search for killernoodle's slave lever thread, there's a lot of info in there about installing the lever, adjusting the cable, etc.

If you do take the bottom of the air box off, it can be a little tricky to get the rubber intake boots back on over the intakes. I just put the box in place, then stuck my fingers down each boot and pushed the boot out while pushing the box down to get the boot over the intake body. You should be able to work things back on correctly.

+1 on the above.

The air box isn't that difficult to remove. I use WD40 over the rubber boots and it slips back on easily. If that cable is that loose, as stated above, its probably stretched put beyond adjustment (worn) and the mid adjuster won't be enough. Check the ends of the cable for ANY FRAYING... It should also be attached to the frame as well with a plastic keeper (I removed my keeper) on the inner left side.

An occasional lube with cable specific oil and a pressure luber help alot extend the life of any cable, especially the clutch. BTW, with the cable luber, lube tends to collect in the cable just above the engine. Put a piece of paper towel under there to catch any or you'll have a new oil leak you have to find(don't ask how I know).....

You don't mention the mileage or previous maintainance but the above should take care of things..

I have an 07 Yamaha factory manual as a pdf file should you need it. PM me with an address to mail it to if needed. It'll show what needs to be removed...

Last edited:

Martin75

Reaction score
Visit site
Just sit in the background and its great.
Never know as much about a yams :thumbup:if was not for guys like you lot.
top peeps.

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided not to pull the airbox out and I plan on riding the bike over to my local shop on Tuesday to get their opinion and a quote to make it right. I got the bike less than a month ago. The lever was a little loose at first but now it's pretty bad. If what you guys are saying is true I might need a new cable but that's pretty had to imagine since the bike has about 2700 miles as of now, and I can't find any fraying, but you never know i guess. I really appreciate all the responses, you guys are the best!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided not to pull the airbox out and I plan on riding the bike over to my local shop on Tuesday to get their opinion and a quote to make it right.

Let us know what you find out. I think I'm going to be in the same boat as you in the near future. I'm planning to take her in to check the valve clearance soon, and this service may be an add on.