Looking to lowwer.

Macx

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I used the search function.

With that outta the way, I am looking to economically lower an '07 fz6.

Realistically, how much can the forks be dropped in the triple clamps? Would bar risers increase that amount? At what point would handling be adversely or too extremely altered for a beginner (this bike isn't for me).

Swapping out springs, for a guy in the US on a budget (every dollar on her fz6 is a dollar away from my next bike, be gentle please) who has the most drop? Can this be combined practically with dropping forks in the triple clamp?

Blocks like the metisse, can they be used with springs for a bit more drop at the rear?

Basically as low as I can go is good. I'm just happy she didn't want a cruiser. . . With her being a beginner, giving up ground clearance isn't a real big concern. She'd have poor clearance if she was moving around on something with floor boards anyway. Did I mention she is truly short. I have been enjoying breaking in her FZ, but it is time to get it sorted for her to ride.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help with all your questions...but perhaps the following will help in part.

1. I ride a gixxer, but couldn't flat foot so I had it lowered minimally. There are speed bumps on my road and I didn't want to be banging into them. I'm really glad I didn't go down too far because having some clearance is important for just normal imperfect road surfaces.
  2. I also had the foam in the seat cut down. It is still plenty comfortable, but that gave me at least another 1/2 inch.
  3. I wear ICON boots with a heel. The model is discontinued, but if brown is okay there are still plenty to be had. Here is the Revzilla link, but do a google search for them in her size to see who has the best price.
  4. Finally, if you lower the bike, you want to be sure to have the kickstand adjusted as well. I went to a local welding shop and it was something like $40 to get it adjusted and repainted. I rode for about a month before fixing this and had to be VERY careful about how/where I parked so the bike wouldn't tip over if someone blew on it.

:cheer:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You never mention your weight or inseam but your best bet is to lower both ends of the bike equally.

The kit for the rear would be good starting point as simply installing shorter springs compromises the bikes suspension travel. The rear of the FZ can be dropped by replacing the lower pivot on the shock with a shorter one (guess is every 11 mm drops the seat about 25 mm). Some have installed the aftermarket kits, others have cut off the aluminum block and simply threaded it deeper to install it back on the shock.

If you drop the rear an inch, I'd also drop the front in the triple an equal amount.
Doing a SEARCH for LOWER & SPRING finds: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/6037-metisse-lowering-kit.html which is the kit you mention.

The bike has roughly four inches of travel, its best to keep it if possible and that kit makes it possible or you can cut and tap threads you'll save some money. You will need a spring compressor to remove the rear spring.

Also, what setting is your spring on now? You might set it on #3 and I personally wouldn't move the forks on the stock springs as the nose is so soft now but some will drop them 6 to 8 mm which will make turn in more responsive and may reduce high speed stability. We need some details from you first.

Macx

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, I am 6'3 220 lbs (usually & outweigh my wife a good bit) I hope to still get a little seat time on it. She has a 29" inseam @ 5'1" & we hope the FZ6 will be her starter bike/ long term friend.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a Hyperpro lowering kit, shaved the seat and dropped the forks following the Hyperpro instructions. I once scraped a peg when I went dangerously low (I don't have stock pegs so no feelers), but not had any issues at all. I cut down the sidestand myself very simply.

There are pics and details of all I did in my site link in my signature below...