Looking for new lighting options (headlight/turn signals)

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I have some cheap LED turn signals that need replacing, because they're not too bright (my friend riding behind me mentioned that.) Does anyone have suggestions of what to go with? I like Motogadget and Rizoma, but they are a little to pricey for me, I'd definitely get them if they weren't priced individually. So, something like $50/pair is my price range.

I also want to change my headlight. I currently have the Acerbis Cyclops and it's been good to me, but I want to go with a 7" round or dual round (leaning more towards the single.) The question for the headlight is the correct wiring. I had a 7" on there before, but it was wired incorrectly and kept frying the connection. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a single headlight?

Current headlight
IMAG0268.jpg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having just gone through the naked conversion, these topics are fresh on my mind. I went with a Emgo dual 4" round headlight and Daytona turn signals. The Emgo headlight can be found just about everywhere. I got the Daytona turn signals from MMCC @ modernmotorcycle.co (that's not a typo, there is no "m" at the end). I also purchased from MMCC a nice quality 7" round headlight for another project of mine. It's a real quality unit, and not much more expensive then some of the crap ones I've seen on ebay.

Regarding the wiring, it's real simple. First off, cut off the bulk of the harness, you're only interested in 3 wires from the forward harness; Black/Yellow, Black/Green & Black. The Black with the Yellow stripe is the low beam and it gets connected to the yellow wire on the H4 connector. The Black with the Green stripe is the high low beam and it gets connected to the white wire on the H4 connector. Black is ground and it gets connected to the black wire. That's it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I also want to change my headlight. I currently have the Acerbis Cyclops and it's been good to me, but I want to go with a 7" round or dual round (leaning more towards the single.) The question for the headlight is the correct wiring. I had a 7" on there before, but it was wired incorrectly and kept frying the connection. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a single headlight?

Current headlight
View attachment 68735

If your bike was a US version, originally a fairing version the OEM switching for the head lights will not work correctly with a dual filament H4 configuration lamp. The lamp will over heat because the low beam is supposed to be switched off when the high beam is active. There are a few ways to make it work correctly.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike was a US version, originally a fairing version the OEM switching for the head lights will not work correctly with a dual filament H4 configuration lamp. The lamp will over heat because the low beam is supposed to be switched off when the high beam is active. There are a few ways to make it work correctly.

Yeah, I had that problem before going with Acerbis. What would be the right way to wire it?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running LEDs. So far heat has not been a problem. But then again, I've only had the high beams on for a few seconds. LED H4's work differently than filament bulbs. For a standard H4 its Low or High. In an LED H4, low powers 1/2 of the LED's and high powers all of the LED's.

If using standard H4 bulbs I would imagine that a relay circuit would do the trick, one that allows for A-input / A-output, B-input / A-off with B-output.

Last edited:

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running LEDs. So far heat has not been a problem. I would imagine that a relay circuit would do the trick, one that allows for A-input / A-output, B-input / A-off with B-output.

Where'd you get the 4" headlights? I tried looking for some and only came up with 7". Do you have a pic of your setup?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a work in progress photo, so don't judge :)

I got my 7" from MMCC. I got my dual 4" Emgo from Amazon. I think I paid $40 and another $17 for the LED's.

IMG_3272.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I had that problem before going with Acerbis. What would be the right way to wire it?

I used to make a universal relay kit that would solve the switching problem for any bike that had this condition but I don't make them anymore. One of our members [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] made a really neat wire package specifically for the FZ6 to solve the same problem. You might try contacting him. If you have no luck get back with me and I will help.:)

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to make a universal relay kit that would solve the switching problem for any bike that had this condition but I don't make them anymore. One of our members [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] made a really neat wire package specifically for the FZ6 to solve the same problem. You might try contacting him. If you have no luck get back with me and I will help.:)

I sent a message to [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION], but haven't heard anything back. I went thru his mod threads, but they were a little hard to follow without the pictures.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said above, go with an LED H4 and you can wire it direct. The downside is LED's are bright, but due to the restriction of having to fit in a H4 space they don't project well.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said above, go with an LED H4 and you can wire it direct. The downside is LED's are bright, but due to the restriction of having to fit in a H4 space they don't project well.

I might, but with your's and [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] warnings about LED light output off the headlights reflectors, it makes me want to go halogen.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I might, but with your's and [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] warnings about LED light output off the headlights reflectors, it makes me want to go halogen.

To finalize my experience with LED headlights. They looked great as a headlight during the day but I only tried them out on short run at night 2 times and I didn't experience better vision with them because a lot of the usable light was wasted. They were not reliable. I have 2 lights on the SV1000s and I was replacing a unit at least once a year. I basically use the bike for only pleasure so the hours to failure are very low. This may be the brand/manufacturer Speedmetal and other makes may be good, but getting Cyclegear to get me different ones would take a waiting period and I want to keep the bike available.
Recently I had a failed unit. I had to argue about getting it replaced and I won't repeat the scenario as I've already done that in a different post. They did give me a replacement and when I installed it the brights stayed on continuously. No low beam function. Took the unit back and got another unit. Same thing, continuous high beam. The new units have defective power supplies. Probably a backwards diode and the power supply is potted so ..... Brought the unit back and explained the issue. The manager over heard my conversation and came over to talk to me. He told me he has been dealing with the history of the product since the beginning of it's sale and offered a replacement. I saw These nice PIAA powersport Xtreme white H4 halogens and offered a swap. He liked the swap and also gave me money back for the trouble. I will use these till and when I do Morimoto HID projectors.
On the ground level, employees can make such a difference for larger corporate standards. Because of the manager's resolve, instead of saying corporate policy says you're passed your warranty, He worked with me. He also asked me to call corporate to tell them about this product and it's failings.

Back to the LED headlamps They're almost here but until they make them to work with the H4 halogen reflector, claims of lumen output are worthless. Go halogen or HID projector. :)

Last edited: