Look at what my brand new tire picked up..

Olas

Reaction score
Visit site
IMAG0339-1.jpg

IMAG0342-1.jpg

Pilot Road 2, less than 200 miles on them and I picked up a fricken' screw!@!!

I plugged it the same day, did it the right way. Took the tire off and did it from the inside. Still made me sad to see this happen to a brand new tire though.

I realize a lot of people would get a new tire in this case, but this is not happening. I paid $300 for the set less than a month ago.

So, let's hear it, what would you do?

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
Next time be careful of the construction sites along your driving way, normally the workers will not clear completely the screw, nails. etc they use in erecting scaffolding. I had similar experence many times. I had a max. of three nails/screw on the same rear tyre. The plugging skill will influence the performance of the plugs, and you had better check the tyre pressure more frequently for safety.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
did you get that tire intalled by someone else? Sometimes they offer warranty that will cover road hazards like nails and screws...I'd look into it.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same once on a brand new PR3 - made me feel sick - got it plugged professionally and it lasted the life of the tyre :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too would plug it and keep an eye on it. Definitely check pressure at least once a week. Only replace if it's refusing to hold air.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your puncture :eek: I know how frustrating it is as it's happened to me twice :banghead:.

I agree with Pantone, watch out for area's of construction as you're much more likely to pick up something there (I now take a shortcut over a cycle path to avoid riding past a construction area, and no punctures of late :thumbup:).

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That has happened to me. I wonder if, somehow, that is THE SAME SCREW that "screwed" me and my new tire! You should throw it into an active volcano to be sure that it can't harm any more brand-new tires in the future.

Actually it's happened to be twice. Both in the rear tire. Both on new tires.

The first time, I bought another $200 (mounted) tire.

The second time, I had a shop plug-and-patch from the inside. I rode that tire until it was fully worn, no problems.

I'd say if it's near the center of the tread, it's probably OK to plug and patch from the inside.

As always, check your tire pressure before each ride and keep an eye on it. :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, me too! The day before the last big NJ ride with Erci. I got a large staple in the rear tire, less than 500 miles on it. It left 2 really small holes that let out barely any air@40 psi so a bottle of slime went in and no problems since.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
New tires are softer and are more easily pierced by sharp objects. I've not picked up a screw or nail in over 7 years since I no longer have to commute to the cluster-F that is northern VA. If there is construction and a lot of traffic there are metal debris!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That has happened to me. I wonder if, somehow, that is THE SAME SCREW that "screwed" me and my new tire! You should throw it into an active volcano to be sure that it can't harm any more brand-new tires in the future.

Actually it's happened to be twice. Both in the rear tire. Both on new tires.

The first time, I bought another $200 (mounted) tire.

The second time, I had a shop plug-and-patch from the inside. I rode that tire until it was fully worn, no problems.

I'd say if it's near the center of the tread, it's probably OK to plug and patch from the inside.

As always, check your tire pressure before each ride and keep an eye on it. :thumbup:

+1 on the above for a very permanent repair(plug/patch combo from the inside).

I have used tire plugs (not plug/patch combo) with excellent results as well...

Last edited: