Long time reader...first time post...quick question

txa1562

Reaction score
www.jmk2media.com
Been looking through this site, reading up on a lot of good stuff since I bought my FZ6 back in April of last year, and I'm finally throwing my voice out there.

I've got a quick question for anyone who may know this. This past christmas I got a new set of Scorpion exhaust and installed them. Still haven't been able to ride due to the crappy northeast weather. My birthday is coming up in another week and I've got a K&N air filter on order. I've been reading how a lot of people recommend unplugging the battery and replugging it back in after doing these mods...it resets the computer on the bike and makes it run smoother, right?

My question is...how does the bike know that I've made these mods?...when it resets and remaps the fuel injection how does it know to reset it to the aftermarket parts that i've added?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this one, mainly because I don't have aftermarket pipes, but I'm pretty sure if you've done the aftermarket pipes AND the K&N air filter, you're gonna want a PCIII(?).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. But I don't think just resetting the onboard computer will do the remapping for you, not when you've put aftermarket pipes on.

Then again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will not alter the ECU's MAP to better suit the Scorpions and K&N filter. The only thing that will change the ECU's factory MAP is a device such as the Power Commander.
However, it's not really necessary to install a PC....your bike will run just fine without it. If you want to "fine tune" it to take full advantage of the mods, then yes...by all means install a Power Commander.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will not alter the ECU's MAP to better suit the Scorpions and K&N filter. The only thing that will change the ECU's factory MAP is a device such as the Power Commander.
However, it's not really necessary to install a PC....your bike will run just fine without it. If you want to "fine tune" it to take full advantage of the mods, then yes...by all means install a Power Commander.
He,s right. Ive attached the power comander link here for you its kinda pricey.

Power Commander Downloads and Product Purchases, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories

txa1562

Reaction score
www.jmk2media.com
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the power commanders and will eventually end up installing one on my bike, just have to wait for the funds to come in. I had just read somewhere that resetting the battery helped out and was wondering how that could be the case.

Thanks guys.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine will be available for sale in about 15 minutes once it get it off the bike. I'm asking $225 with a custom dyno tune that should work well for your set up. If you are interested please PM me.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Resetting the battery just erases the computer's previous fuel trims. Your bike will revert to base trims that are more than likely very rich. Over several miles your computer will read your O2 sensor and trim the fuel back off until it is satisfied it's running within it's preset tolerances.