Long ride, next week

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to head to Florida (from NJ) next Wednesday (8/22). Would love to not have to stay on most boring roads ever (95, 495, etc), but at the same time don't want to add to much to the ride time-wise.
As is, the route is just over 980 miles, 15 hours and 45 minutes (without stops). Not sure if I can do this in one day.. I'll see how I feel.

Here's the (simple) route I plan to take: NJ to FL

Got any suggestions on better road(s) at any given point along the way?

If I decide to split this up into 2 days, I'll be looking to stop somewhere in NC/SC near route 95. got a suggestion for a good place to spend the night.. or just do the typical chain motel?

Thanks!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
if you just want to get there in one day, you're stuck with the major hwys.

blue ridge parkway will get you through a chunk of that. plenty of sights, food, camping and motels along the way (or kind nearby).
you can do it in 2 days, it's a good compromise.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
You can do that in day Bro... I did 1550 miles in 23:38! LOL

I'll PM you my cel # when you get here. I'm right off PGA/I-95 in West Palm Beach. Not sure where you're going (can't open the map... MAC?) But if you stop by let me know. My hours are flexible to a certain point and my wife has been working evenings lately. Not much between here and DC. Just one long drag strip!

Ride safe!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience slogging that many miles in one day is doable but not enjoyable. If it were me I'd split into two days, add some non-interstate highways and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:
I've also found that when you stay at a motel if you're pleasant to the clerk/manager they'll usually let you park your bike next to the front door where they can keep an eye on it.
Above all, enjoy the trip. :rockon:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
980 on a slab is cake, but why? Well I guess it's better than a cage but I try to avoid slabs when ever I can.
I vote take 2 days and ride some fun roads (are there any on the east coast?:Flip: :thumbup: )
I would like to know your mileage on a long run like that.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has it been a year already?? We have the worst timing:BLAA:
I'd go but I just reported in at my new unit. Maybe next year:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
980 on a slab is cake, but why? Well I guess it's better than a cage but I try to avoid slabs when ever I can.
I vote take 2 days and ride some fun roads (are there any on the east coast?:Flip: :thumbup: )
I would like to know your mileage on a long run like that.

That's exactly it! Better than a cage! I'll only do 2 days if I can't finish the ride in 1 day. I have to be back by Monday night and I'd like to spend as much time with my parents as I can.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So after all this planning, my wife has decided to go with me and we're taking the car. One of these days I'm gonna do a proper tour :rolleyes:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My parents migrated to SW FL about 8 years ago. Living in Wilmington DE, I hate using most of my vacation time to go to the same place all the time but hey, they're cool and did a pretty good job keeping me out of trouble. :)

We always go around Christmas so flying is really expensive. Lately, we've been taking the in-law's Odyssey, and just drive straight through (1225 miles). Every year we say we're going to stop, but the excitement keeps us going. Even with napping and switching drivers, we're still a bit zonked when we get there.

Riding? Definitely two days, and arrive fresh and ready to enjoy your time.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
if you just want to get there in one day, you're stuck with the major hwys.

blue ridge parkway will get you through a chunk of that. plenty of sights, food, camping and motels along the way (or kind nearby).
you can do it in 2 days, it's a good compromise.

+1 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just rode through it a few days back in a car while visiting the wife's grandaparents in NC. I am seriously considering taking the bike down there next time.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just rode through it a few days back in a car while visiting the wife's grandaparents in NC. I am seriously considering taking the bike down there next time.

That was on my list and I seriously looked at it to go next month and spend the week there with the wife. But now that we are moving and will end up paying double rent for October (Availability...) Here's my play budget... and a bit more! :(

Well, next year for sure! I did Laconia his year... still alright!