Lodging ?'s Asheville, NC and Deal's Gap.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I am starting to plan my trip for next month and getting things in order. Those in the area or that have been I am looking for suggestions on places to stay. We'll be leaving Belton, SC on a Monday or Tuesday and returning Friday...trying to miss the w/e traffic and rush. Going to head up to Chimney Rock then on the Asheville the 1st day via the BRP and want to stay somewhere convenient to it don't need anything flashy just a bed, food and safe area not to worry about the bikes outside. Am looking at couple hotels on westside of Asheville near Brevard Rd. and 26. Anyone know if it's a decent area?

Then we'll head down the BRP to the end and on to the Dragon staying somewhere east of it for a couple days while we ride the area. Looking at Two Wheel Inn and Ironhorse Lodge. Anyone been? have a preference? Another Suggestion? Thanks

WarriorDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm kinda partial to the Kickstand Lodge. It's on Hwy 28 about 15 miles south of Fontana Dam. If you know where the IronHorse is then you've passed by the Kickstand too. It is a campground not a hotel. They do have a cabin and some campin cabins too. The shower house is always clean. The breakfast ($5) is OK, The dinner every night, for $10, is always awesome. It is a dry county so bring your beer with you from Bryson City. The rules at the Kickstand are alot more relaxed than the IronHorse. Not rowdy, just usually alot of fun when a whole bunch of people are there. Mo and Courtney, they'll stay up late and drink with you too.
Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground

Wiz

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are that close and have the time, check out a map of the area just north of Asheville for a little town called Maggie Valley. There is a motorcycle museum there that is just fabulous. It's called "Wheels through time". Get this, all the bikes on display run! I was talking with a guy about a Crocker that we were looking at and he turned out to be the owner. He fired it up, rode it out of the museum and down the highway, just so we could hear the cool "hemi" head v-twin run. Dale Walksler(?) I think was his name. Great place, great guy!! I was lucky enough to stay in that town with a bunch of folks. We rented 3 houses in the surrounding hills so all 16 of us would have a place to stay. We loved it, lots of great riding in the area. Also stop in Asheville, that town has a strong 60's hippie vibe to it.

You'll have a great time!:rockon:

WIZ

WarriorDog

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a motorcycle museum there that is just fabulous. It's called "Wheels through time". Get this, all the bikes on display run!

WIZ

Wheels through time has closed up and moved to Arizona? I think. I know they have moved.
And Yes, the Two Wheel Inn is nice too. Kinda like a motel with a garage for your bike. :thumbup:

Wiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I had heard that they were thinking of moving, but did a "google" for wheels through time. Google found their website, and it sure looks like it is still in Maggie Valley. There is no mention of any other location other than 62 Vintage drive, Maggie Valley. If they are still there, I encourage everyone to stop and take a peek. It's a good time.

Thanks,

WIZ

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We just stayed at the Two Wheel Inn for three nights. Can't say enough about them and they are central to so many great roads including the Dragon. Rte 28, Cherohala, Walah Rd, Corkscrew, to name a few. Free but slow internet. Plus a garage to put your bike in. :D

WarriorDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I had heard that they were thinking of moving, but did a "google" for wheels through time. Google found their website, and it sure looks like it is still in Maggie Valley. There is no mention of any other location other than 62 Vintage drive, Maggie Valley. If they are still there, I encourage everyone to stop and take a peek. It's a good time.

Thanks,

WIZ

Yeah, they're gone. Rode through Maggie Valley the last week of April (out Hwy 209 to Hot Springs - good ride) and the parking lot had cables across the posts and For Sale signs out front.

FJRacer

Reaction score
Visit site