locking it up at 70mph

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:banghead:Ok im just blowing off steam here. I was going home from my base (Im in the Marines) and we wear bright colored vests and everything out here. Anyways, on my short ride home from work, 20 mins, a semi came over on me i caught that one pretty easy, but it still kinda scared me. Then I was getting off the interstate I was on to get on to the next one a car gets in front of me about 12 car lengths up I look in the mirror and do my head check to make sure its safe. I get over, look up and see smoking tires in front of me. I lock both wheels at 70mph my back tire swings to the left and then back to the right making me go almost completely sideways both times i came to a stop, without laying it down about two inches away from the car's rear bumper!!!! I guess God was looking out for me to keep that bike up. but yeah the drivers here in VA suck

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job keeping the bike up!!! Too bad you've gotta ride like everyone on the road may do something that stupid at any moment, but you've got to admit, that adrenaline rush afterwards was is something else huh?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that sucks, but glad you r ok:thumbup: I guess I stay inland and away from VA beach - at least on the bike anyway!:rolleyes:

J

jsteinb95

Kudos for keeping the bike up. Be careful out there.....the world is mad!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look on the bright side. You have experienced what emergency braking is all about and looks like you came out okay. You can practice all you want, but it's not until you have actually performed it in a real life threatening situation to know whether you have the skils and ability to execute it. :thumbup:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
When you lock up both your tires, keep the back one locked, and release the front and apply again, you dont want to keep the front locked. Thats what they tought us at the saftey course i took.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
My parents live in Smithfield and I agree the traffic around there is bad .. Good job riding that one out Now you know how the bike acts in an emergency stop ..

????Did you flat spot the tires ????

If so you may want to replace the front tire at the least
You might Be able to powerbrake the rear tire round again !!!

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My parents live in Smithfield and I agree the traffic around there is bad .. Good job riding that one out Now you know how the bike acts in an emergency stop ..

????Did you flat spot the tires ????

If so you may want to replace the front tire at the least
You might Be able to powerbrake the rear tire round again !!!

yes i flat spotted them both, but all ready replaced them i was due for new tires anyways.

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you lock up both your tires, keep the back one locked, and release the front and apply again, you dont want to keep the front locked. Thats what they tought us at the saftey course i took.

yeah i know they taught me that too, but when i was actually in the situation i tried twice to let up on the front brake and it just felt like the bike wasnt slowing fast enough. It was kind of wierd, everything happended in slow motion to me. But hey everything worked out and im good so its cool.

Also just remember what they teach you in class isnt always the same as what happens in a real life situation. They can only teach to be ready for so many things, but when the time comes you have got to be the one to keep your head right and execute what needs to be done

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Marine I am so glad you didn't go down! A lock front wheel is a scary thing to have.

Maybe some day we will get more ABS bike in the US.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I will always buy ABS if available. I practice my emergency stops often, but when the Sh*t hits the fan; there is no time to think. Muscle memory has to overcome the fact that every fiber in your body is forcing you to squeeze the brakes as hard as possible. So far, my muscle memory has lost. ABS definitely puts you on the winning side of this battle.

-John

oscarg85

Reaction score
Visit site
you are not the only one bro! Ok so going down topanga canyon on sunday i was goinmg behind a three car line all of them were going slow, and u know how we hate slow drivers, u just dont know what are they gonna do, i was with my girlfriend in tha bike and suddently this b...H! deside to turn left with out warning making the car in front of me just brake hard so i do the same and try to get gear down, the bike is heavier because there is 2 of us, brake lock rear wheel goes from side to side and finally come to a complete stop only by an inch from the cars rear bumper!! idiots, i passed them, looked at them and then shoke my head. be carefull out there brothass!!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What Vegasrider said... could not have said it any better. Be HAPPY you have the skills!!

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife was sent to the Virginia Beach Carmax on temp assignment back in October of last year for 4 months. She said it was a really nice place, but that the drivers their sucked. Apparently she was correct.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm glad you came out ok. thank you for your service sir, your a better man than most of us for serving.