locking Bike while on a Trip

splatter57

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to taking my first long road trip up to Lake Tahoe, then over to the coast and then down PCH hiway. I was wondering what to do with my bike when i stay over night at a motel. Do you riders lock them up ?

Thanks,

Always lock the handlebars full left. (funny you can't go full right as on my FJR). I like the older motels where I can park out front of my room or parking near the entrance of the larger hotel if you can.
The best way to protect you bike is to get a full cover for overnight parking. I have been using a full cover for years while leaving my GPS and radar detector on the bike with no problem. They usually won't take what they can't see.
Be aware of the neighborhood, I try to stay away from low rent areas.
Go ahead and lock it as much as you can if it helps you sleep:)

PS what route will you take?
If you can from Bishop take 6 to Benton and and hang a left on Hwy 120 over to 395. GREAT road, in fact my wife and I rode it today on our way home from Mamoth Lakes. I live an hour west of Tahoe if you need any road tips let me know.

Thanks for the info, I live in Ridgecrest,CA so i'll take 395 thru Bishop, to Reno/Lake Tahoe. Plan on staying there the first night.

Take my suggested slight detour north of Bishop-well worth it. Be advise I-80 is a mess from State line over the hill. How you going over to the coast?

You either stay in a real cheap motel where not only you can park right in front of your door to your room, but you can roll your bike right inside.

Or stay at a real nice expensive hotel and park right up front near the valet or check-in area under the marquis. May cost you some grease money, but at least you'll be able to sleep at ease.

If all else fails, get a kryptonite chain and a heavy lock with the anti bolt cutter shackle. Chain the bike through the rear wheel and around the swingarm to a pole, fence or anything that will not easily move.

I'm going to taking my first long road trip up to Lake Tahoe, then over to the coast and then down PCH hiway. I was wondering what to do with my bike when i stay over night at a motel. Do you riders lock them up ?

Thanks,

Any chance I get I'd roll it in the hotel room. When you go in, limp real bad and tell 'em I need a downstairs room. As soon as it's dark roll your bike in. LOL!

Covers are supposed to help. A disk lock. Definitely lock it to something if you can.

You might do it. Put it this way. When I go away with my wife for a couple of days I put down some 3 mil plastic and ride the bike through the door into our living room at our condo.

Enjoy your trip!

Cliff

Take my suggested slight detour north of Bishop-well worth it. Be advise I-80 is a mess from State line over the hill. How you going over to the coast?

Need to look at map and see how I'm going get from Tahoe to S.F. From there, riding down PCH to Pt Mugu then back to Ridgecrest.

Back