Loading a motorcycle into a trailer sideways?

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried searching the forums and Google for this, but the closest i could find was mention of loading it diagnonally into the back of a pick-up truck.

I want to haul the motorcycle roughly 1800 miles on a trailer which is also carrying two 4 wheelers. I think the only way the bike will fit is if I load it almost completely sideways (maybe slightly diagonal).

Is it safe to load and secure a bike this way, anyone have experience doing so or any tips?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have experience loading a bike that way, but I know they make side-loading trailers would would make it pretty easy to push the bike / ATVs up onto it. Then it's just a matter of having secure anchor points and wheel chucks.
If properly secured, it should be 100% safe.

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, that sounds good, i have been searching around for wheel chocks and most require that you drill a decent size hole for a large bolt. I'd like to avoid asking to drill holes into his trailer bed as well, but maybe a handful of small screw holes would probably be of no concern to him.

Boxing the wheels in with some 4x4's would probably do the job right?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, that sounds good, i have been searching around for wheel chocks and most require that you drill a decent size hole for a large bolt. I'd like to avoid asking to drill holes into his trailer bed as well, but maybe a handful of small screw holes would probably be of no concern to him.

Boxing the wheels in with some 4x4's would probably do the job right?

Yeah, 4x4's should be fine. Once the front wheel is up against your make-shift chuck, you can squeeze front brake lever (lightly) and wrap it with a strap (can be one of the loose ends of the 4 tie-downs you'll be using to anchor the bike). This will keep the front wheel locked and help prevent the bike from rolling away from the chuck.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I hauled mine home I used the rear seat handles and the upper frame mount (to the rear of the engine) vs the using anything on the forks. There was no damage and no scuffing to anything.

You can loop tie straps around the wheels to secure it for/aft but you will need 4 solid anchors hopefully opposing each other. . .

When I say "through the wheels", I'd do that over an unsecured chock block thats not bolted or screwed down. Don't rely on something you can kick free with your foot, it just won't stay.

EDIT: Be wise, depending on the trailer and towing vehicle a 460lb bike sitting on the tongue of the trailer may cause issues for light duty trailers. I don't know you're situation but look at the big picture OK!

Last edited:

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
That is an interesting idea to tie the wheels down.

Are you talking about securing one side of a single strap to one side of the trailer, going through the rim, looping around the outside of the tire and back through the rim to the other side of the trailer? Would that sufficiently keep the tire from moving side to side? It seems to me that the loop could simply shift one way or another.

I do not think the weight distribution is too much of a concern, he has mentioned that he has hauled 3 ATV's before. Diagonally, the bike would have roughly the same footprint as an ATV.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
blocking the wheels will prevent side to side rolling but you need to tie
down higher up then that...I'd use ratchet straps from the fork triple
clamp down to the trailer, pull the front suspension down a fair bit....
secure the rear from the passenger peg mount bracket...you need 4
tie downs, one over the front and another over the rear is no good....
and lastly, don't use the center stand as this prevents being able to
prevent compressing the suspension....keep the bike upright, front
wheel straight, and pull down securely at those 4 points and you'll be
worry free