(need advice)Has anyone pulled a mini-trailer behind your motorcycle

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody as some may know i inherited a Vulcan 900 classic from my friend's family and i am planning on pulling a trailer behind it to carry all my stuff on upcoming trips for next season.

Im wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on pulling a motorcycle trailer?
any documentation you may need for the trailer when crossing the canadian border?

i already bought the hitch for the bike and planning to install it this weekend:
Hidden Hitch for Vulcan VN900 Classic VN 900 | eBay

I'm planning to buy a tag a long trailer from harbor freight, all the other trailers ive seen are SUPER expensive:
78" Tag-Along Trailer - 600 Lb. Capacity

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I havent, but I will get back to you in 2 or 3 months after I get mine made. It will be a single wheel trailer.

During my research I noticed a LOT of people using that very same trailer as you have linked. I know ball hitches are commonly used on cycles, but check and see how much your lean angle will be reduced. Also, be aware that if avoiding a pot hole or other obstacle the 2 wheels of the trailer wont be directly behind you (harder to swerve and judge how to straddle the obstacle)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I built my own trailer but hadn't used it much with my old Goldwing. From experiance, :

What I would STRONGLY SUGGEST, is to install a swivel hitch in between the coupler and the main frame.

Without it, should you try to lean a fair amount, the trailer will literally STOP YOU from leaning. (as if you set the bike on the kick stand). That was with a heavy Goldwing(see pic's)

You may never need to lean that far, but in an emergency, tighter corner than you expected, its good to be able to do so vs going off roading...

Once I put the swivel hitch on, full lean was easily done, peg dragging actually..

If not familiar with the swivel hitch, it basically bolts (I welded mine), in between the couple and main pulling frame, has like an front wheel spindle and bearing and allows 360 degree lean... I ordered it somewhere on-line, bout $50.00.

Just looked closer at the second picture, I had NOT installed the swivel hitch yet...

(BTW, the trailer is for sale, don't use it anymore).

Last edited: