Loading a bike into a tuck or trailer

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Too much work for me, I wouldn't bother.
Check out the carriers that attach to your hitch. Alot of guys with dirt bikes use them, but I think they aren't rated to carry our bikes... But you can check!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Too much work for me, I wouldn't bother.
Check out the carriers that attach to your hitch. Alot of guys with dirt bikes use them, but I think they aren't rated to carry our bikes... But you can check!

There are some rated to carry 400 lbs. Almost good enough for our bike w/o fuel. See Habor Freight site. However, they also sell other trailers that will certainly do the job.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be taking my bike to a track this year and have read some good advice on this forum about not riding to the track as you will have more energy to enjoy the day.
I have never put a bike on a trailer or in a van. Some of you have experience in doing this. Please share ti with me and if you got any pictures that would be great to.

Neil

I suggest if you plan to park the car for many hours or leave it overnight, I would loosen the tight tie-down straps until you are ready to go. I don't think it is good to leave the shocks tightly compressed for many hours unless you are in transit of course...for the fork seals sake...just a littler superstitious about this.

Finally, I like to transport motorcycles with little if any fuel in the tank. First, it makes it lighter to move and secondly, in the event of a automobile accident, you don't run the risk of fuel spilling all over the place.

Last edited:

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest if you plan to park the car for many hours or leave it overnight, I would loosen the tight tie-down straps until you are ready to go. I don't think it is good to leave the shocks tightly compressed for many hours unless you are in transit of course...for the fork seals sake...just a littler superstitious about this.

Finally, I like to transport motorcycles with little if any fuel in the tank. First, it makes it lighter to move and secondly, in the event of a automobile accident, you don't run the risk of fuel spilling all over the place.

Some people also claim the constant compression weakens the springs in the forks, some say it doesn't matter since what weakens them is if the spring is cycling.
My bike is held up (yzf 250) at all times with straps, since it stays in my trailer. But, I loosen the straps so they are only balancing the bike when I'm not moving... Just gotta remember to tighten them up before I go.

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
Sorry but I don't have any pics but heres how I got mine home safely after a 400 mile drive.

I just got into bikes and my other ride is a car and I don't have a trailer so....

Buy/Borrow a wheel chock and bolt it to a piece of thick plywood. In mycase it was 4' x 4' .75 inch plywood. Bolted it to the end of plywood and tossed it in the back of a Chevy Silverado.

Put the bike in and make sure its slid all the way to the front. Put the kickstand down. One strap around each front fork. crank it down so the forks are compressed like you were sitting on it, but don't get too crazy. One Strap across rear tire from one side of the pickup to the other. It helps to have it about a 45 degree angle so its 1/2 way up to top of the tire so the strap doesn't try to fall off. cinch it down til you can see the tire is slightly compressed by the strap.

ride a few blocks and take a couple turns so the bike can settle. cinch down again if needed.

should be good to go for the rest of your trip. Doesn't hurt to check it after about 30 miles then again in a couple hours. Make sure to get good straps.
Do you really want to risk your bike that costs thousands to save 10 bucks on straps. The ones I used were rated to 1000 lbs each.

Relayer1974

Bubba Zanetti
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one of these ramp/bed extenders on the outside chance that it wasn't a gimmick and the thing is actually quite nice. It takes two people to get my FZ6 into my 2004 Dakota 2WD on level ground. I'm sure someone with a bigger pair could do it solo. It comes with all the straps to secure it to the truck as a bed extender and the build quality seems good.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
With my old bike (Honda 230L) I used a 2x10 board with a special ramp end that rested on the tailgate of my truck. In order to load my bike, I would start it and use first gear to walk it up the ramp. I placed a small chair next to the ramp, and stepped on that and into the bed of the truck as the bike went up the ramp. I loaded and unloaded my bike dozens of times using that method.
That being said, I don't think I would try to load the FZ that way by myself. Sounds like a 2 person job to me.

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a bike trailer off fleabay for 200-300 GBP, they're generally speaking nice and low and have a fixable ramp to roll it up so it doesn't slip down. The one I've got comes with a compartment to keep straps in + 4 U things welded to the frame of the trailer to attach the winch things to.

Don't try and ride it up, I've done it before. Luckily had someone to help me hold it up whilst I fell off in a controlled manner half way up the ramp. :rolleyes: Wasn't even my bike, luckily I didn't drop it. Don't know why I decided to ride it up in the first place when there was 2 of us. Seemed like a brilliant idea at the time though. :D

With the trailer I've got we attach one small strap to the front wheel and attach it to the fron 'U' thing, , and 1 either side of the handle bars, 2 on middle part of the frame, and 2 on rear part of the frame. Take some towels if you're scared of damaging the bikes paint.;)

mm22176

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider the same load on a two wheel trailer; if the bike leans, the trailer ... The trailer is similar to a racing cyclist who tucks in behind the leader to ... at the bike, and it tends to reform the cyclist into smoother pedalling. ...

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I built this trailer for my bikes and I can fit two street bikes and my dirt bike backed in between them. Its a tight fit for three, but really nice for two. I can fit all my camping gear and whatever on it also. I need to make a better tailgate, but its about a foot off the ground so its real easy to roll the bikes up onto it. I put some heavy duty anchors for tying down my bikes and it pulls excellent. It has a permenant licence plat which was about 70 bucks but its good forever. I've put about a thousand miles behind my van on this trailer so far and I plan on a million more!

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an enclosed trailer and use an aluminium folding ramp. It's pretty simple, since the floor is relatively low. When I had to load bikes into a full-size truck I used an adequate ramp and a 5-gallon bucket. Place the bucket bottom-side-up and use it as step between the ground and the bed of the truck. It's bit unnerving at first, but momentum is key. Just go for it... and have good insurance.

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
A set of canyon dancer straps will help with the front end without damageing the switch gear or paint.
I put bike into shed (about 1.5ft) then into back of truck (4x4). Not as steep and have better leverage if alone.

Last edited:

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up a 6x10 trailer and added 8 tie down points and a wheel chock. I plan on adding a second chock soon.

00523877.jpg

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
^nice rv wrlomas

^^ ryan00ss, the hitch carrier doesnt seem like it would be much easier to load than using the trucks bed. would be good for an suv though.