Lid Damage

skyworm

Reaction score
Visit site
So,after a 1,5 years my lid (Shark RSI Carbon) slipped off my hand and hit the ground from half meter high.With this result
30042012106.jpg

I've chequed inside and there is no cracks.Hope the damage is only on the top layers and not in fibers.I'm thinking of cover this scrach with epoxy resin.What do you think,will it work?

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be more concerned with possible foam damage internally. Afaik the only way to check for that is by X-ray. Do you really want to trust your head with a suspect helmet with possible internal damage? That's a choice you gotta make.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I would fill the crack with epoxy and go on your merry way. There's no way the internal foam is damaged. There needs to be mass behind the foam (ie your head) in an impact for the foam to compress. Plus you dropped it from what, 2 feet? You're good to go. The damage is cosmetic.

My $.02

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would fill the crack with epoxy and go on your merry way. There's no way the internal foam is damaged. There needs to be mass behind the foam (ie your head) in an impact for the foam to compress. Plus you dropped it from what, 2 feet? You're good to go. The damage is cosmetic.

My $.02

I agree with that. That's a very small fall, more than likely the only damage is what you see.

Straight from the Snell website...

"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"

Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

skyworm

Reaction score
Visit site
Foam inside is OK.And the carbon surface from inside has no visible cracks.My question is about epoxy mostly.Is there a posibility for it to compromise the integrity of surface furthermore?

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I can only imagine it would make the surface stronger, being that there is a gap in the outer shell the way it is now. I would go ahead and try it out, and let us know how it goes.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call me a pussy, but for me it's always come to 'how much is my head worth?'

If the value of my head is greater than the cost of a new lid, then I buy a new lid.

After 18mths, surely it isn't too hard to buy a new lid? I mean if it were a couple of days old, sure - you'd feel bad.

If the area damaged has now created a fault line, or area of weakness, then the force of impact wont be adequately spread, and instead concentrated on this fault - thus the helmet could fail. (read up on the failure of square windows on the British Airways Comet - for exactly the same reasons)

Sucks, but I think it's the best option. (for me, it's the ONLY option)

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Think of it like this - would you strap your child into a seatbelt that has a small (tiny) tear? Sure, it may not rip in the case of an accident - but it is an area of weakness that, for me, raises too many questions for safety.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The impact absorbing liner which is about 1-2" thick is what every rider must be concerned about whenever it experiences an impact since it's only good for one impact. Of course, the higher the fall, the more susceptible to damages.

This is the reason why I never place my helmet hanging from my handlebars or mirrors. I place mine on the passenger foot pegs which puts it about a one or two feet high off the ground.

A helmet being dropped knee/waist high without having the head inside will probably be fine. The impact may create a needle size depression of the liner which shouldn't compromise the helmet. As stated, if you were wearing the helmet and experienced an impact, you have just created more than a pin size compression of that liner and it should be replaced.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Would think it is OK, hard to tell from the photo but looks like the clear paint chipped off. The RSI shell is a carbon fiber fiberglass composet and is designed to crush along with the foam lining. Would not use epoxy or anything else as it may weaken or strengthen too much the shell. Too strong in one place means the loads would not be spread and absorbed properly. If it was mine I would keep on wearing it and replace it a couple of years. If you know a helmet painter ask them about repairing the paint in that section.

Just my thoughts

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this just comes down to personal opinion. Functionally, the helmet is 'probably' 99.9% as effective as before it was dropped. From a peace of mind perspective, I can see wanting to replace the helmet, especially since it's already a year and a half old.

I urge you all to step back and look at the big picture. A piece of protective equipment designed to cushion a hard impact with a 10-15 pound head inside of it was dropped from 2 feet off the ground with nothing but air in it. Do you really think that the structural integrity and ability of the helmet to absorb a hard impact was substantially compromised? I think not.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
wow this is a good discussion about helmets. Some I knew but I have learned some too.

I dropped my helmet from the seat of my FZ6 and changed it to my "back up" helmet. I've used it and had other people use it as well, just not as my daily driver one.

I know helmets can be expensive, and I try to be better with where I place it but I'm guilty of putting it on my mirror still. I have used my foot peg before and I have also placed it on the ground as well while getting ready to go.

In the end it's your decision on what to do about it, I know carbon helmets are the stronger than the plastic ones.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I urge you all to step back and look at the big picture. A piece of protective equipment designed to cushion a hard impact with a 10-15 pound head inside of it was dropped from 2 feet off the ground with nothing but air in it.

Exactly that - but different....

A piece of protective equipment designed to protect your noggin has been compromised.

Whether by a lot or by a little - it now has a deformation and this deformation will result in an area of increased, focused, load it was not designed for.

And as has been said, and repeated, it's already over 18mths old - and you only have one head.

As for some of the above - I grant you there may indeed be no weakness in the polystyrene - but the polystyrene liner is protected by the shell - as the shell distributes the force over a greater area - as well as offering abrasion resistance. (and the ability to slide, rather than catch on a stick or whatever and wrenching your head to the side)

Now, if the shell is subjected to an impact in the area of weakness, instead of distributing the force, the force will be concentrated at that point.

This is not opinion, but physics fact.

Having said that, there are people in the world who ride WITHOUT a helmet - so even a compromised one is going to be better than that.

Me personally? I'd replace it, and be more careful next time. (if I'm not wearing my helmet - I'm carrying it, or it's on the floor)

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I find it hard to believe that a $500 helmet that is designed to protect your head in a 100+ mph crash would fail from a waist level fall.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that a $500 helmet that is designed to protect your head in a 100+ mph crash would fail from a waist level fall.

I didn't say the helmet HAD failed, but the increased forces at the fault WILL cause significantly increased potential for failure.

iSteve - I'm glad you'd trust the helmet, your opinion is as valid as any others.

For me, knowing the increased danger due to the compromised shell and the guaranteed focal point for impact forces - there is no option but to buy another helmet.

It sucks, but it's physics.

Cheers,
Rick

R.S. Where have you seen a speed at which a helmet is rated for? (I can't actually imagine a helmet is 'speed rated' as it is designed to absorb impact, not reject speed..)

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site

Helmets are only designed to protect against a 16 MPH impact, which is approximately the speed your head would be traveling vertically if you fell off your bike from the seated position. If you crashed into a wall at 100 MPH your helmet would serve little purpose other than slightly containing the mess of brain and skull fragments which would litter the crash site. Gruesome, but true.

And to mave, I agree with everything you have said. It comes down to personal opinion and frugality, but I don't think buying a new helmet is necessary. I've dropped my helmet several times when it fell off my mirror or seat. It's got some scratches but I don't think its ability to protect my head has been compromised. Regardless, I have an EXO-1000 on its way because my current helmet (An HJC CS-R1) is a little bit too big for me, and it doesn't match my bike (The most important reason :)).