Lets Be Extra Vigilant

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

It's been disheartening seeing so many fellow riders going down. I too, low sided (not serious, minor road rash on me and my bike) about two months ago. Since, it's been one post after another about someone mixed up in an accident.

I know sometimes events occur out of the blue that puts us in a bad situation through no fault of our own. Other times, it's road conditions, weather, etc. Let's make a concerted effort to do all we can to remain safe.

BE VIGILANT, KEEP A WATCHFUL EYE OUT, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL.

BE SAFE AND TAKE CARE.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, but before anyone even thinks about getting onto their bike, make sure you take on the responsibity of making sure you have all the proper safety gear.

Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and riding pants with armour.

Prepare for the crash, not the ride.

Don't fool yourself with jeans, as I just recently experieced a 20-30 foot slide on the asphault. With my Air Mesh Kevlar pants with Quad Armour, I didn't even feel a thing. It was only after I looked down at my right leg that I noticed my pants got scuffed up wth a minor tear on the knee. Without the pants, maybe a broken knee cap, and guarnteed road rash.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/what-i-learned-today/33354-i-had-rely-my-gear-tonight.html

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thing to remember is that it is possible to snap, tear, or smash something just rolling out of bed the wrong way. We are very fragile when it gets right down to it. Adding the force of impact that travelling at speed in traffic or highways, everyone should realize that motorcycle accidents are viciously dangerous given the amount of force that could potentially affect your body. Hope that makes sense. I've written it quickly.

Also worth mentioning that (I've forgotten the numbers) but hitting something at 80kph is the same as jumping out of a window like 10 stories up in the air and hitting the same object. The sudden stops generate ridiculous forces. Your gear is pretty much only good for abrasion resistance (skin? yes please I'll have some!) and to cut down on potentially deadly head injuries. Beyond that, don't think for a moment you are not as vulnerable as you really are.

(note: still wear your gear, don't be a muppet, the things it aids in make a massive difference)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

It's been disheartening seeing so many fellow riders going down. I too, low sided (not serious, minor road rash on me and my bike) about two months ago. Since, it's been one post after another about someone mixed up in an accident.

I know sometimes events occur out of the blue that puts us in a bad situation through no fault of our own. Other times, it's road conditions, weather, etc. Let's make a concerted effort to do all we can to remail safe.

BE VIGILANT, KEEP A WATCHFUL EYE OUT, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL.

BE SAFE AND TAKE CARE.
Nice thought but ya aint rode with roos have ya.....

Ozfazer6 had no chance. You dont see them until they jump out of the bush. Very hard to avoid a collision. Sometimes they stop dead, sometimes they will aim for you.

Stay safe everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Kinda.. Ours just have bigger front feet.. :rolleyes: Same issues, though..

whitetail_deer_02.jpg

On the other hand, I've had Roo.. I'll take a tasty yearling Whitetail any day.. :BLAA:

I've had several close calls with deer.. Road, off road, hell I damned near got run over while hunting them!!

But, as mentioned earlier, dress for the fall, even if you get a little uncomfortable because of the temps..

I typically wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants, Held gloves, Oxtar boots, and a HJC full face helmet.. When quized by the bandana wearin pirates, I just reply that you don't need much protection when falling off a bar stool.

Last edited:

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Amen to the being extra vigilant! I just got my new to me 2008 FZ6 a couple weeks ago after being off of street bikes for several years. (I had been keeping my riding skills up on dirt bikes though). Signed up to take the MSF course again just to brush up on my skills. I think everyone should take one of these courses every few years, what could it hurt, might even learn something. I am still disgusted every time I see a fellow motorcyclist? (squishy) going down the interstate in rush hour traffic wearing only a t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and sunglasses. Gotta wonder what they are thinking.

ATGATT!!:rockon:

WORBC

WOuld Rather Be Cycling
Reaction score
www.smallsats.com

Ozfazer6 had no chance. You dont see them until they jump out of the bush. Very hard to avoid a collision. Sometimes they stop dead, sometimes they will aim for you.

Stay safe everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true, I hit one in a car while stationed at Woomera, it was like hitting a tree stump as they are so low to the ground. Hitting one on a bike could only be a 1000 times worse.

--terry