LED Lights (Under Glow)

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to take Boneman's idea and use some very non-attention attracting white LED lights to help make me that much more visible at night. I have a total of 7 strips on the bike in various places.

All the strips are completely hidden from plain view and are not directly visible from the front or rear of the bike. In fact the only light that is visible from a side view is the one mounted on the back of the license plate, but it's clearly pointed down.

• Two in the front fairing
  • Two mounted on the underside of the tank
  • Two mounted in front of the rear tire on the frame
  • One mounted on the rear of the license plate bracket

I connected all the lights to an LED switch on the left hand side of the fairing and ran the switch power using a mini 10A tap fuse (also called add-a-fuse) that is connected alongside the tail light fuse). Since I mounted some to the tank and front fairing, I add disconnects at these points. To help reduce wiring I spliced all the lights together in sets of two (minus the odd ball out on the license plate). When all was said and done it took probably at least 4-5 hours start to finish figuring everything out, getting various parts, mounting, and running wires.

I know this by far is not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine, but I decided it'd be a good idea add more lights that did not distract other drivers and especially were not gaudy (as I'd prefer to avoid unwanted attention). My bike now has a subtle under glow that I feel really adds to it's personality.

As always...

:needpics:

I apologize in advance for the cellphone pics.

LightsOn_zpsc841a431.jpg

LightsOff_zps4134496a.jpg

LightsCloseUp_zpsafce9626.jpg

LightsCloseUp2_zps0376236b.jpg

LightsFront_zpse419b267.jpg

LightsRear_zps77e07bb5.jpg

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
This is not normally my thing, but does look nice and subtle in white, the back wheel one is awesome, can use it to check tread and tyre after a ride at night without a torch lol

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea, but I will not be satisfied by the amount of lighting getting in the middle, I might move one of the strip from the under-tank to under-engine.
I see this post is 2013 and by now, you would've upgraded the lights already :), so no point in pointing now.

I am actually debating over getting one of these kits(10pc, 6pc, and a misc strips):

Motorcycle LED Glow Lighting Kit All-Color Body Glow Neon Strips 10pcs by OPT7
Motorcycle LED Glow Lighting Kit All Color Body Glow Neon Strips 10pcs by OPT7 | eBay

6pc MILLION COLOR LED MOTORCYCLE UNDER GLOW LIGHT KIT
6pc Million Color LED Motorcycle Under Glow Light Kit | eBay

6x Waterproof 12''/15 DC 12V Motor LED Strip Underbody Light For Car Motorcycle
6X Waterproof 12'' 15 DC 12V Motor LED Strip Underbody Light for Car Motorcycle | eBay

The coolest thing about the first two is that, they come with a small keychain remote, which can be used to program the lights to show different effects, like strobe, breathe, switch between multiple colors etc.
The third one is pretty cheap and comes only in one color, but have to buy an external switch to turn off in the day-time.
Chrome Glow 12V Waterproof Push Button on Off Switch with 12" Leads | eBay
or
Custom Dynamics Waterproof Push Button on Off Switch for Harley Motorcycles | eBay
and put it under the fairing or run it under the tank for easy access.

I don't do much of night riding, So I may stick to the bottom two, but the first one comes with a waterproof switch, for additional protection(I'm in a misconception that it draws small amps of current even after we shut it off with the remote, and I have a Scorpio alarm which runs on battery all the time).

Share your thoughts.