Leaning the FZ6 and a sense of front washout

Mingo

Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize in advance for the vagueness of this question, but I’ve got to ask.

I just picked up a 2008 fz6 with 3000 miles.

My previous bike was a café racer, a Bonneville with rear sets, low bars, and sticky tires—but despite the upgrades, the fz6 should corner better than the Bonneville, right?

I took the Fz to a big parking lot on my first ride to acquaint myself with its turning radius, to practice u-turns on the new bike, and to see how it fairs under emergency braking.

After all that, I attempted some low speed—15 miles per hour—circles leaned way over. I did the Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic a while bike and learned to drag knees at relatively low speeds in a relatively tight circle. On my Bonneville, I ended up grinding down, the pegs (even with the rear sets), the side stand, and the edge of the pipes.

When I first leaned the FZ over (I had already driven about 50 miles with it on the street—but not the twisties; I still haven’t taken it up to the twisty hills), it felt like the front tire started to wash out. It was pretty scary, since the bike has no frame sliders yet. I tried again; again, the front felt like it was starting to slide out from under me. In both cases, I aborted the turn/lean and the bike came back under control just fine.

Is this just a trait of the bike—that it feels like it’s washing out when it’s not? I didn’t get very far over.

The bike leans, right? I’m thinking I should easily be able to grind down these pegs—especially since I see that rear sets are widely available for the bike.

I went home and checked the steering head bearing—it’s fine.

One last note. The bike has the stock tires (Dunlops) with huge chicken strips: nearly two inches—I took this as a sign the bike was not abused. I don’t see how that should matter, but it seems I’m the first to really lean this particular bike.

Any answers or advice?

Thanks.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock tires are crud to start with, but now they are 3+ years old. They'll be hard as granite. Wolfman's got some on a spare set of rims he just fitted the other day, and they are shiny, and squeak when the bike is moved on the concrete.....EEEEEEEWWWW!

I make no bones about it...I hate the OEM tires. I took a half worn set of tires of the ZR7 I was riding for a while, and the FZ1 when I bought it, 'cause they were (IMO) dangerous.

For the FZ6, I'd recommend, a few tires.

Michellin Pilot Road 2CT's, for wet weather months, or a mostly commuting/some twisty work rider.:thumbup:

Michellin Pilot Power 1CT's, for summer months, or a more twisty/commuting rider.:thumbup:

Bridgestone BT016's for dry months, and mostly twisty work, and maybe some track.:rockon:

Bridgestone BT003 RS for the track:rockon:

Edit....again...check the height of the forks at the top triple clamp. Should have the cap only, just over the level of the clamp.

Check out the pic here....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...115-fz6-darty-handling-issues.html#post369748

Last edited:

Mingo

Reaction score
Visit site
Michellin Pilot Road 2CT's, for wet weather months, or a mostly commuting/some twisty work rider.:thumbup:

Michellin Pilot Power 1CT's, for summer months, or a more twisty/commuting rider.:thumbup:

Bridgestone BT016's for dry months, and mostly twisty work, and maybe some track.:rockon:

Bridgestone BT003 RS for the track:rockon:

Thanks for the advice--I'll get some new tires, then.

So, it sounds like I want Bridgestone BT016's--You say dry months. I don't ride in the rain more than 5 times a year, today being one of them, but if i want to use the BT016's in the rain, it's not like they will have zero traction, is it? I mean, will they be worse than the three year old stockers--which were, incidentally, sliding around a bit in the wet today?

Also, what kind of miles will I get--are these sticky enough that I'll get less than 3000 miles a set?

Finally, should I go with stock sizes? I'm new to this bike.

Thanks again.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I put on a set of the BT016's and got about 5k miles,the front was more worn than the rear. They are a very sticky tire and I loved them a little too much, I was getting a bit too stoopit on my twisty rides-no chicken strips on either tire, and still rarely touched the pegs down, so it will lean. I've since put a set of Roadsmarts on,probably a better choice for an old fart like myself, I'm less tempted to push the limits.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice--I'll get some new tires, then.

So, it sounds like I want Bridgestone BT016's--You say dry months. I don't ride in the rain more than 5 times a year, today being one of them, but if i want to use the BT016's in the rain, it's not like they will have zero traction, is it? I mean, will they be worse than the three year old stockers--which were, incidentally, sliding around a bit in the wet today?

Also, what kind of miles will I get--are these sticky enough that I'll get less than 3000 miles a set?

Finally, should I go with stock sizes? I'm new to this bike.

Thanks again.

I use BT016's on my FZ1. I ride in all weather. I've been getting 6-7 thousand km/ 4-4.5 thousand miles, and there is no way an FZ6 is gonna shred tires like Neo out of a turn. Also a lot of your roads are concrete, and it is lot smoother than bitumen, making it easier to get more tire life, I believe.

I'm sure there are other people on here using Bt016's on their FZ6 on similar roads. Some of them might be able to chime in with some numbers.:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The BT-016 is a great tire for the Bay area...I have them on my FZ6 right now. They work in the wet. Mileage will depend on many factors...2,500 to 7,500 miles per set with more people getting around 4,500 (based on what I've heard).

I believe the FZ6 will do everything better than your old Triumph, including corner. Have fun. :thumbup:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah as others have said your tyres are probably the most important. I had the Bridgestone stock BT020 which got great miles but was not the best tyre overall. Just got Michelin Pilot Road 2CT - awesome tyre. The profile of the tyre makes leaning into the turn much easier.

Also - change your fork oil. The stock stuff is crap, upgrade to 10wt oil (15wt if you're a big fella!). I've not done this yet but it's my next job to do! Lots of threads on here about it. Should improve the handling.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! That old rubber chicken strip is like hitting ice! Yeah, you'll like BT-016's :rockon:

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i too have an odd feeling about my fz in very low speed maneuvers. it just feels so light and twitchy (technical term), but i guess thats because im used to my 600+lb concours14!

i did take the fz to the mountains (eastern us version) and that bike was absolutely solid and 'on rails'! super fun and handled superbly. bt016's btw. that bike sold me and will stay in my garage for some time to come :rockon:

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Could it be that the FZ has more ground clearance so you are pushing it further over to try and get the footrests down.
On the tyre front, do you guys have Maxxis tyres over there, cheap tyre but soft and very grippy. Look good too, almost like a race tyre with a few treads cut in them.