Leaky Voltage?

liamstears

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you guys can help

Believe I've got some phantom leaky voltage somewhere as a couple things seem a bit odd to me

1 is my indicators, the dash ones. When indicating the indicators work normally but most of the time when indicating between flashes my dash indicators are dimly lit? This bugs the hell out of me lol

The other strange thing I noticed was voltage on the rear brake, when I apply brakes I get over 12v which is good, when brakes are not applied a couple volts are still present?

Have noticed the indicator issue only happens with the engine running

Have checked main ground connection which is fine, believe I have checked all electrical connections which seem fine (if there is any directly behind dash I haven't checked them), have replaced RR with FH012

Any ideas?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What signals are on this bike and does it still have the aftermarket alarm?

liamstears

Reaction score
Visit site
Got some high power leds and aftermarket relay - have used same relay before on other bikes without issue - strange it only happens with engine running, engine off indicators are fine

Got a brand new Meta def com t with new wiring harness, ripped out old alarm and fit this one myself properly, everything soldered up nicely

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a quick test; key on, all is ok - right.
Start bike - headlights come on and problem begins - right?
What happens if you leave the key on and turn of run stop switch? Does it continue? It should.

Next test is key on, bike running, unplug the main headlight(s) one at a time testing blinkers in between. Does the problem go away?

If so, maybe you have some feed back through the incandescent bulbs for main lighting?

Also, what incandescent bulbs remain in use if any?

liamstears

Reaction score
Visit site
Done a quick test

Turn bike on, indicators fine
Start engine, indicators play up
Stop engine with engine stop switch, indicators go back to normal

Didn't disconnect bulbs as headlights and sidelights are led and all goes back to normal after killing the engine with the stop switch

Some sort of interference with the engine running

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd disconnect headlights and verify. It reduces the unknown a lot.

Recap - complaint is turn indicators glow slightly at all times when engine is running OR only when L or R indicator is in use?

How/where are are probing the rear light to get voltage?