Latest FZ8 news

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet mother of pearl, I hope that picture isn't what the FZ8 will look like. If that's even close to what it will look like, it won't be anything like the outgoing FZ6. Bummer.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see why Yamaha wouldn't release this in the USA.
All of the competitors do well in the US:
Triumph Street Triple R (very popular)
BMW F800R (big following)
Kawasaki Z750 (maybe not this bike as much)
I'll add the Ducati Monster as a competitor too, and that sells really well here.

I don't see why Yamaha wouldn't want to go after a slice of the street fighter pie.

I would think the Ducati Multi-Strada would be a closer bike to the FZ. It's the main reason why this will be my next bike.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree. A picture and specs is all we need. I just want to know if this thing will be the Yamaha version of the Street Triple 'R' as I hope it will be. I gave up hope long ago that it would be a better/newer version of the current FZ6.

OMG_WTF said:
I don't see why Yamaha wouldn't release this in the USA.
All of the competitors do well in the US:
Triumph Street Triple R (very popular)
BMW F800R (big following)
Kawasaki Z750 (maybe not this bike as much)
I'll add the Ducati Monster as a competitor too, and that sells really well here.

I don't see why Yamaha wouldn't want to go after a slice of the street fighter pie.

This is exactly why I didn't get another FZ6 after my accident and ended up with the Street Triple R. The Yamaha just left me wanting something different, which is what lead to so many mods. I've had my Triumph for 6+ months and haven't once felt the need to change a thing on it. If Yamaha comes out with something even close to the Street Triple R, I'll happily move back to the Yamaha family.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think the Ducati Multi-Strada would be a closer bike to the FZ. It's the main reason why this will be my next bike.

I compared the FZ8 to the Monster because I think the FZ8 is trying to be a street fighter, like the Monster. I don't think the FZ8 is trying to be a sport tourer like a Multistrada.

I'd like the Multistrada as my next bike, too. But then I think about Ducati, valve adjustments, maintenance, and I think about sticking with a Japanese bike. I don't want to be out in the middle of West Virginia and have my Ducati break down on me. Yeah those are some harsh words, but I've spoken to a few Ducati riders and I have heard some scary things. I rode with someone with a 998 and his engine would die at red lights and low speed turns. C'mon, son!

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: Today Yamaha announced that there will be a faired FZ8 as well. According to the email I got, they are planning on revealing the bike March 12th. Go to the Yamaha UK website for a picture.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that looks a LOT like the fairing on the '07+ FZ6 (with a couple of different touches). And I'm still seeing those gold forks in the background and what look like fairly large fork tubes, so I'm still thinking it'll have USD forks.

And now we've gotta wait until March 12th to get any more info??? Man, at this rate, we might get to see the bike around Christmas! :D

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I am sorry to be the spoilsport but this bike may not make it to the USA. Only European websites are advertizing it.

I had considered that but also considered that this may be due to the popularity of the FZ6 in Europe. It isn't nearly as popular (sales wise) as the "r" bikes. There wouldn't beany reason for them to not bring it.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Motociclismo

Someone posted this link on MCN that supposedly is the whole bike.

If that is indeed what the bike is going to look like, then imo they totally fu*ked up the rear end, and that exhaust is the worst I've ever seen, but it would probably be replaced anyway. Maybe it would look good with an R6 tail unit?:don'tknow:

Last edited:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree. The bike looks like an R6 minus a little body cladding. The exhaust looks awful, but reminds me of the exhaust on the Bimota DB7. If this is indeed what the FZ8 will look like, count me out. I'll get the Versys or move up to an FJR.

venom722

Reaction score
Visit site
am i the only one that doesnt hate the looks of this bike?? i mean dual undertail exhaust is something all of us here love, but i think the bike looks pretty bad ass !

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
The rest of the bike is badass as it is a FZ1 mock up which looks badass. However I didn't like the fact that they stuck with the original FZ6 fairing which IMO is girly, cat like.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lets not forget, this bike has been developed during the global crunch..i would bet that 80-90% of R&D funding went into the engine as there isnt an "8" in production ..i doubt its just a bored out 600 or a filled in 1K (it might even have more in common with the R7 ??)..i just hope they held back enough pennies to give it some decent clothing.

Im not gonna fall for any "exclusive" pic at this time.. its perfectly plausable that they have been testing the 800cc in a FZ1 chassis for engine development purposes (car manufacurers do this all the time). But who knows

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Lets not forget, this bike has been developed during the global crunch..i would bet that 80-90% of R&D funding went into the engine as there isnt an "8" in production ..i doubt its just a bored out 600 or a filled in 1K (it might even have more in common with the R7 ??)..i just hope they held back enough pennies to give it some decent clothing.

Im not gonna fall for any "exclusive" pic at this time.. its perfectly plausable that they have been testing the 800cc in a FZ1 chassis for engine development purposes (car manufacurers do this all the time). But who knows

Wasn't Honda's CBR900RR motor a stroked version of their CBR600 motor?

As oversquare as the FZ6 is, it sure seems like it wouldn't take a whole bunch to increase the displacement 200cc. That's only 50 cc per cylinder. I'd guess a new slightly taller head would be required, and a different crankshaft with the conrods off set a (very) few millimeters further from center. The increase in stroke would come at both ends of the range; so it's only needing another 25cc above the current combustion chamber's location.

Such a motor would be ever so slightly less 'oversquare'.... which would move the motor to a more torquey character....

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Fair and valid points ..i guess they must have some very special CAD software which could design or reconfigure an existing motor, using the 600 as a platform does make more sence...i always forget about stroking