lashed out and bought a scoot.

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
After a year of commuting in peak hour traffic, i've decided it's time to leave the FZ6 at home on weekdays and get a little scooter for the daily commute.

Of course I bought a Yamaha, I got a great deal from work, so that's a bonus.
It a litle 101cc 2 stroke YW100, otherwise known as the mighty BeeWee.
I got it in red, cos they go faster....don't they:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've had the little beast for 2 months now, done almost 2,000kms and am loving it. It's almost maintenance free, apart from changing the final drive oil every now and then. I get about 150km for 5ltrs and bang a litre of 2 stroke oil in about every 800kms.

It's got a top speed of 95kph, but I'm hoping to do some mods to increase that to about 125kph. I'm looking at getting a Malossi variator and sports pipe, then I'll think about a 125cc big bore kit. I'm also going to either drill out the current jet or bung in a new one the next size up, for hot weather, so I don't burn a hole in the piston like I've seen happen to a few at work.

RRP is $3200 plus ORC, I got it for $2400 plus ORC. Bargain :)

I reckon it needs some eyelashes, so the boys at work are gonna make some from little cable ties :Flip:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
They're some monster tyres. Looks like you should be riding on the beach:D

Unfortunatley my morning comute consists of 15km of 110kmh, so a scooter is out of the question for me.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice stuff!
My missus got a sportcity 250ie for learning and because it easily handles the higher speeds of 110.
Its actually quite amazing how fun the scoots are to ride.
How do you think those wheels would hold up at higher speeds with those kind of mods? I know one of the biggest concerns I've heard for alot of the cheaper/smaller cc scooters are the wheels are too small for good stability at higher speeds.
Also how does it feel cornering, those tyres are quite fat with a bit of a rim around the edges, I'm guessing leaning it too far would be problematic.

How much did the on roads come to as well (if you don't mind me asking)? I imagine its alot cheaper than the bike.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
They're some monster tyres. Looks like you should be riding on the beach:D

Unfortunatley my morning comute consists of 15km of 110kmh, so a scooter is out of the question for me.

I used to own a Gilera VXR180 4st(malossi variator/leo vince pipe)that did 135kmh & would scare most sports bike off the mark:rockon:.You can also get very sporty rubber for them,I used to scrape pipe one side & center stand on the other.The only thing was little wheels dont like big potholes:(.

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice stuff!
My missus got a sportcity 250ie for learning and because it easily handles the higher speeds of 110.
Its actually quite amazing how fun the scoots are to ride.
How do you think those wheels would hold up at higher speeds with those kind of mods? I know one of the biggest concerns I've heard for alot of the cheaper/smaller cc scooters are the wheels are too small for good stability at higher speeds.
Also how does it feel cornering, those tyres are quite fat with a bit of a rim around the edges, I'm guessing leaning it too far would be problematic.

How much did the on roads come to as well (if you don't mind me asking)? I imagine its alot cheaper than the bike.

The tyres don't give the best of rides, they produce a bit of vibration when I'm fanging along at top speed, but most scoots are a bit vibey in the front due to the lightness of weight.
I'm planning on getting a set of Conti Twists in the near future.
I'd really like to put a set of michelin pilot sports on it but they dont make a 120/90-10 for the front, only a 130/90-10 for the rear.
The width of the tyre makes them great for tram tracks, and working in the CBD I come across those quite often.
Because I commute during peak hour, the fastest i get to in the mornings is about 80kph, and the bike is happiest at this speed.
The afternoon commute is when I get to peak out at 95kph lol, but it really is struggling at this speed.
It's a little powerhouse straight off the mark, I'm usually at the other side of the intersection before cars have begun to move.
The underseat storage is great, it fits my full face shoei plus gloves and a few small bits n pieces, the top box is for when I go shopping or need somewhere to put my Dririder jacket.

ORC consist of .....
$15.00 rego plate
$36.70 Rego fee
$283.30 TAC (3rd party insurance)
and a once off stamp duty fee of 2.5% of the market value ($2400)
$60.00

All up $395.50 ORC (no pre-delivery fee) :)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After a year of commuting in peak hour traffic, i've decided it's time to leave the FZ6 at home on weekdays and get a little scooter for the daily commute.

Of course I bought a Yamaha, I got a great deal from work, so that's a bonus.
It a litle 101cc 2 stroke YW100, otherwise known as the mighty BeeWee.
I got it in red, cos they go faster....don't they:rolleyes:

Anyway, I've had the little beast for 2 months now, done almost 2,000kms and am loving it. It's almost maintenance free, apart from changing the final drive oil every now and then. I get about 150km for 5ltrs and bang a litre of 2 stroke oil in about every 800kms.

It's got a top speed of 95kph, but I'm hoping to do some mods to increase that to about 125kph. I'm looking at getting a Malossi variator and sports pipe, then I'll think about a 125cc big bore kit. I'm also going to either drill out the current jet or bung in a new one the next size up, for hot weather, so I don't burn a hole in the piston like I've seen happen to a few at work.

RRP is $3200 plus ORC, I got it for $2400 plus ORC. Bargain :)

I reckon it needs some eyelashes, so the boys at work are gonna make some from little cable ties :Flip:

Don't reckon you'll win BOM with that one...lol...I was thinking of doing the same. Don't like to square off the tires on my Animal, and it doesn't enjoy putting about in traffic either I'd imagine.

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
hahah, I had no intention of entering the scoot in BOTM, unless i can get a pic taken with the front wheel in the air ;)

If your thinking of getting a scoot, stop thinking and start doing, you won't regret it. Having said that.... I didn't think you had big traffic issues at peak hour in Adelaide? But, it is smart to save ya FZ for the fun stuff. I reckon the saving in fuel and tyres alone, not to mention servicing( I commute near on 300km a week, so thats 15600km a year) will pay for the scoot in about 3 years.
Plus, it's a giggle, my mum even loves it. I can go up and down gutters too :thumbup:

If youvé got a bit more cash to splash, take a look at the Yamaha Cygnus, it's 125cc water cooled 4 stroke, very good build quality and is a far better scoot, just a bit pricey for me at the time.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand - scooter makes economic sense and is great for storage etc, but I just couldn't do it.

I know some of those things absolutely fly, but the only scooters I ever see in Perth are the ones that can't do the speed limit and are ridden by :squid: so they are the first thing I think of.

I think it's the word "scooter" that puts me off.

Nice colour though :thumbup:

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
hahaha, I haven't actually thought about naming it, but I do refer to it as "the little red rocket"

The boys at work in the workshop can hear my conversations with customers, and they put on a high pitched voice and copy me sometimes....

lol, "I've got a BIG bike too"

so know Its refered to as the little bike, and the FZ is the big bike.

What will I call my dirta when I get it next week... hmmmm.
Gawd, I think I'm gonna need a bigger shed for all these toys.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
When I ride the missus's scooter I feel like I should have a jacket saying "I have a REAL bike too!"
But I think thats my pride talking, the scooters really are great, but I have to say I'd have alot of trouble moving to one from a bike (its the image thing!)

Rossi46

Reaction score
Visit site
Grest bike!!! I sold mine yw100 on monday and i miss it heaps. That number face plate is the perfect size for a 46 sticker!!!! Enjoy